Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New here
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hi all. Four weeks done and three to go. Mostly I am tired and am breaking out on my neck and face. The pills I take for dry mouth seem to be working. I am looking forward to the next 2 days. The weekend! Gonna rest and relax. Take care all.

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Annabel lee

I too had my jaw replaced with my leg bone and my cancer was in the floor of my mouth. I had radiotherapy and I found that Aqueous cream rubbed in until my skin wouldn't absorb any more helped with the burns on my skin. I am a person that sun tans easily so I don't know if that helped but usidng the cream I peeled once then went brown in the areas that had been treated. I used the cream several times a day. For the dry mouth I use Biotene Gel and find that works really well, but with all these things it's often down to personl preference. I wish you well with your treatments, hang on in there and things do slowly improve when it's all over Smiler

Note: Edition was addition of link to 'Biotene'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dr Vinod K Joshi,

Posts: 1 | Location: Shropshire | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your advice and helpful ideas. I have 9 more radiation treatments to go. I need some help about learning to speak again from others who have lost most of there tongue from cancer surgery. I find it so frustrating to make myself understood. Only those who have lost the ability to speak clearly will understand what I mean. It makes me so angry when people ignore me and look at my husband and ask a question about me like I am too feeble minded to understand them. Grrrr!! I have a board I can carry and write on but some people have little patience waiting for me to write my reply or my question. After my radiation is over I am going to try to get a therapist to help me speak more clearly. Any helpful ideas or exercises I can do now on my own would be appreciated. I especially have trouble prounouncing "L's". AL from somewhere in the twilight zone that is my life now.

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Annabel

You might find these Oral Motor Exercises and this previous post helpful.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3905 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc. for the oral exercises. Some of them I do every day and have helped me. Well all I just got home from my final radiation treatment. I told them to throw my mask away. I never want to see that thing again! I go to see my surgeon Weds. for a check-up and for him to take a look at his handiwork and how I am healing. I am hoping for a bit of time off to get my life back since I don't have treatment everyday now. Just wanted to let you all know I was through with radiation and to thank you all for your support and advice. Peace.

Picture of heathrow steve
posted Hide Post
Glad you got through all your treatment ok Annabel Lee, and I know what you mean about that mask. Good luck with the healing process

Posts: 199 | Location: West Drayton (Heathrow) | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Melanie
posted Hide Post
Hi A.L...

I think cancer clinics should do ceremonial mask burnings when a patient's radiotherapy concludes!

Thank the good Lord, you are all done with treatments. I pray that your body mends quickly and strength returns in abundance. Be extra kind to yourself and allow others to do the same. You will feel a little better with every week/month that passes. One day, this will all be a bad, but DISTANT memory!

FMH,

Melanie

Posts: 186 | Location: Bedford, Virginia - U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my husband wanted to make his trache gold plated!

Posts: 15 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that I think about it maybe I should of brought my mask home and used it for target practice!YEEE!HAWWW!

Picture of Melanie
posted Hide Post
Wonder how they'd sell on Ebay? Thinking

Posts: 186 | Location: Bedford, Virginia - U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had awful problems with Dry Mouth since completing treatment for base of tongue cancer in July 2010. Constant drinking, gels, sprays and synthetic saliva’ 24/7/ became unbearable. I found in the US a Colonel Richard Niemtzow who discovered, developed and still practices his Dry Mouth treatment in Maryland.USA. He also created battlefield acupuncture and is the world renowned authority on these treatments.

I exhausted places in the UK to be treated with his protocol. so visited him July 9th, 2011 and within the first of only two sessions was able to produce saliva again. No more gels, sprays and synthetic saliva since this date and unbroken sleep since.

I was profoundly affected at the results of the treatment so started in the UK The Dry Mouth Foundation. www.drymouthfoundation.org. but you could visit the colonel via his website www.n5ev.com

Let me know how you get on.

Terry Gannon.
Dry Mouth Foundation.

Posts: 73 | Location: London, Essex, Kent, Herts, Surrey, Suffolk | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,

My name is Linda, I am a dental hygienist, who loves reading anything connected with health care. I also love writing, to share what I have learned with my colleagues.
At present I am writing a series of two articles on oral cancer screening, as I am very committed to promoting regular head and neck and intra-oral examinations during dental appointments, for early detection, diagnosis and timely treatment. The dental recall appointment is about more than examination of the teeth and gums.

I found this website while searching for images for my articles. I am so happy to have found it, and I am looking forward to visiting here on a regular basis.

Posts: 1 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Linda

Thank you for increasing awareness of mouth cancers.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3905 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Everybody,

I'm a Medical Student and i'm new here.

Caren Lee

Posts: 1 | Location: Holtsville | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post