Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  General Chat    Tongue biopsy tomorrow
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tongue biopsy tomorrow
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sue

What great news: so pleased to hear that everything is well!

Love

Gwyn xxx

Posts: 336 | Location: Leicester, UK | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sue ,great news!! was so delighted to see your news .
Paul & Bell x

Posts: 338 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi i have a tongue biopsy in february, can anyone tell me if the needle hurts? and where they put it? and do they use numbing gell first? and are you in pain afterwards ????

Posts: 1 | Location: australia | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good Evening,
I am in a reasonable position to answer your questions since I have recent experience to draw on.
Just over two weeks ago I noticed that a lump under my tongue, which the oncology team have seen several times, seemed to be a little darker in colour so I kept an eye on it. It certainly did not get lighter in colour so I asked for a priority appointment at the oral and facial unit which I have been attending for eight years.I was seen by the senior consultant the following day and he decided that the lump should be removed, in effect an overgrown biopsy. If I prefered a general anaesthetic there would be a delay of two weeks or so but if I accepted a local the delay would be ten minutes, I chose the latter option so he did the job there and then.
Now to your questions; the local was injected in four places around the lump and yes it hurt a little but not as much as I expected. Numbing gel was not used, it may be routine in OZ but in the UK NHS it seems to be only used where children are involved. The anaesthetic wore off after four or five hours and it was uncomfortable because the stitches tended to drag. I had my usual glass of red wine (which had quite a bite)and slice of pork pie that evening but I have to admit that it was less enjoyable than usual. I was eating more or less normally by breakfast on day three.
I described the procedure as an "overgrown biopsy" and as such required five stitches, for a normal biopsy I think no more than two would be sufficient. I get the result next wednesday and I will ask them to remove the stitches at that time, despite what the medicos say they don't dissolve in a couple of weeks; four to five weeks is nearer the norm.
No one likes having needles stuck into them and in this I am no exception even after fifteen procedures associated with mouth cancer. The thought is usually worse than the reality so cheer up it's not too bad.
Let us know how you get on.
Keep Smiling
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr Spencer,

You let us know how you get on too SmilerSmiler

HD

Posts: 345 | Location: USA | Registered: 16 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mimi McC
posted Hide Post
knight rider,

I think John Spencer gave you a totally honest response and is as good as it gets. None of it is fun but it's doable and you'll probably find the experience far easier than you think.

Julia - I think we both have a crush on JS and I'll fight you to the finish.

Take care, my friends.

Mimi

Posts: 594 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good Evening Ladies,
HD I will certainly let you know the outcome of next Wednesday's meeting,it is kind of you to take an interest. Just one thing though; the only people to call me Mr. Spencer are policemen when they have some strange notion about me driving too fast on the motorway. The rest of the world know me as John. The policemen are, of course, mistaken about my speed.
Mimi, I do hope that Julia and yourself can come to some amicable arrangement without resorting to fighting. Until I can summon up the energy to swim the Atlantic you will have to make do with George Clooney.
Keep Smiling
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mimi McC
posted Hide Post
Well, Mr. Spencer, Julia and I will have to toss the dice to see who claims you when you dog paddle to our eastern shore. One of us will win you and the other will have to put up with this Clooney guy.

[img=http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7049/clooneyh.th.jpg]

I hope the link works! He just adopted this doggie from a shelter. What is it that you lot sometimes call dogs? Something like googies or gongys?

Best of luck to you on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes.

Posts: 594 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Mimi n Julia...I think I'm on for the race for Mr. Spencer. So, u girls better watch out because both of u might have to fist fight for whats his name? Clooney?

Praying for you, John. Hang in there!!

Posts: 60 | Location: Malaysia | Registered: 30 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
In the spirit of the holiday, Mimi and Sharifah, I will do the gentlewomanly thing and step aside. Besides, I'm waiting for Silas Weir Mitchell (Monroe from "Grimm").

I hope Wednesday brings you an early Christmas present, John: good news.

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 981 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Anthony Mcdonald>
posted
Hey,you don't need to be worry about the biopsy. It is just a formal test. As you said there is white patches you have seen and it seems like a tumor. Hope you will be fine and recover soon. i am waiting for your next update about biopsy reports. Best Luck.

white kitchen cabinets

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dr Vinod K Joshi,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
It is comforting to know that we can now call upon the high level medical knowledge of a kitchen cabinet salesman, no longer will the meaning and significance of such terms as leucoplacia be a mystery to us.
JS

Picture of Shoshana
posted Hide Post
Dear John,
Best luck with your biopsy report. Please let us know the results as soon as you get them,
Ms. Finquelievich

Posts: 100 | Location: Buenos Aires | Registered: 10 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi John

I had little doubt of the troll's poster's medical ability and knowledge. You must be so grateful for his help.

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 981 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the biopsy report. I've got my fingers crossed.

Hagg.

17 years and still kicking it. Never give up your fight.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Devon,UK | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post