Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post surgery symptoms
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
hi Gwyn,
When i went to the massage therapist, she mentioned she does massage of lymphadema. I asked her if she did it in the neck and she said she's done a couple. So i went there to get it done and she showed me some techniques that work very well if you followup with it 3 times daily. Anyway, it worked for me but i still do have lymphadema off and on.

The feeling in my tongue lasts about 15 minutes after i sit down and rest after excerise. But it
seems to flare up everytime im out doing something and its calm when im sitting down.

Im not sure about the lump yet, i think its going down. Im not sure what it is. Its just inside the skin. Its not connected to the jaw or anything.

I have to get checked by the dentist, i havent been to the dentist in about 10 months. i've put it off because im trying to heal my neck and tongue for so long. My last dentist cut my tongue with the tool he was using about 6 months before i noticed i had cancer diagnosis on my tongue. ive also had about 40 novacane shots because of root canal problems. i could write a book about the experience.

Anyway, take care

Jerry

Posts: 14 | Location: Milwaukee, wi | Registered: 19 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mom of two boys
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

I also had a small portion of my tongue removed and neck dissection. One positive lymphnode from the 25 removed. So I also had to endure 32 radiation treatmens. As far as my scar on my neck being numb I had it done in December and it is still numb but I do massage it my self often. My scar was very puffy at first and a nurse at my kids pediatrician told me to massage it and it was flat in a week. Also I had a nerve in my chin on the left side that caused part of my mouth to stay up when I smiled my ent was worried about the radiation making it tighter and it would maybe never relax. So the entire duration of my radiation I massaged it. Now it does not stay up when I smile. I have noticed I tend to bite the end of my tongue occasionally but I think everyone does that. Also if I am cleaning house or down on the floor bent over doing anything I do feel like my tongue swells and I can't breathe. But my mouth also gets dry from the radiation so it is not a fun event to clean house. After I was diagnosed I thought about any damage I had to my tongue over the years. Well to say the least I have had a lot of damage. When I was 6 I had cavaties and the dentist messed up my mouth pretty bad both lips were swollen out ward and I could hardly eat. When I was 15 My boyfriend but my head while I had my tongue sticking out and I ended up biting my tongue almost all the way thru. Then as I have went to the dentist everytime I have anything done I feel like they poked me in the tongue with the utensils I don't think it is intentional but they need to be careful with people. A lot of trauma can cause damage and cells not to heal.
I hope my experience helps you out somewhat.

Posts: 178 | Location: union, ky | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi gwynn,
Good to hear from you.
Its been over year now, still have some
numbness under right jaw and most of the time
my right lower lip doesnt move much when talking
which makes me look crooked when i talk.
I still get that feeling in my tongue when im excercising, it feels fatter. Sometimes it sounds like my speech is slurred a little because its hard to pronounce "S" "ch" "sh".
I have not had a pet scan yet, not sure if i'll get one. Doctor said it wasnt necessary.
Anyway, im having this problem in my mouth (of course) near my back molar tooth. It needs a bridge because theres no molar next to the back one. The dentist says i cant get it until my wisdom teeth are all out. So now i have to get wisdom teeth out. I was just wondering if a wisdom tooth could hit a nerve in my chin which could cause all this numbness. At times it feels like the numbness is worse and other times its better. Also, what kind of doctor or dentist would take care of this problem.

thanks again

Posts: 14 | Location: Milwaukee, wi | Registered: 19 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi mom of two boys,
Its tough to get through the complications of
this disease. Its been just over a year and
my neck jaw is a little numb and some problems
with speech and the ever embarrassing crooked mouth when i smile. So i dont smile with an open mouth. Went to ENT last week and he was
checking my mouth and tongue. This was a new
ENT because my old ENT moved out of state. Lucky me!! Anyway, he was concerned with one of my molars, on the right side, last in the back.
It has some metallic over it from the previous dentist that was doing a root canal on it. He told me to get it removed because he had a similar patient, my age, that had that same metallic like metal on that molar. He thinks that might be the cause of my tongue cancer.
My other eNT never mentioned it to me. I had this metallic metal cap like thing in my molar 6 months prior to me getting tongue cancer. And everytime i went to the eNT for my check-ups i would always ask the ENT if that tooth looked abcessed, he would say no and i said it kind of bothers me. But i didnt know if it was the neck dissection or the tooth that was causing the dull pain in my jaw. So after a year i went to the dentist (new dentist) and asked if my tooth was abcessed. They said no and x-rays are fine. Then i mentioned we'll why is bother me. Its a very dull pain. i had the ent touch it with a tongue depressor and it hurts. He just told me to get that thing out of my mouth because it rests against the side of my tongue.
Anyway, the dentist is gonna look at it again and xray it and then maybe extract it. The only thing that helps is antibiotics and ive been taking them off and on for about a year so the light pain is minimal. Now its time to do something about it.

So , i believe it has something to do with the metaliic like metal in our mouths that are causing cancer. Not saying its everybody and i know dentists will deny it but its something to think about and make you wonder.

posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more. Hang in there because thongs can get better and life can get back to 'normal'. Hagg.

Hagg.

17 years and still kicking it. Never give up your fight.

Posts: 1279 | Location: Devon,UK | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post