Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  General Chat    emotions after treatment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

emotions after treatment
 Login/Join 
posted
I was treated for tongue base cancer between may and July in 2011.I had a radical neck dissection followed by 35 radiotherapy treatments - luckily no chemotherapy was needed. Checks so far have been clear and the MRI. had my peg tube removed two months ago and eating is sooo good now. Luckily my taste was not affected at all. Am back at work and like many survivors on here am feeling so lucky to be alive, appreciate every day etc. have even taken up cycling again!
So yes I am doing well but cant explain the mess my head is in. Half the time I am ok, the other half not so good. I cant seem to let go of the whole cancer thing and move forward. I guess psychologically it all takes longer I dont know.has anyone else had different emotions after treatment. Would love to hear from any of you. Thanks for reading my ramble

Posts: 5 | Location: bromsgrove | Registered: 19 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can not answer for sure as I was a care giver but in talking with a friend of mine who had colon cancer part of her still feels betrayed by her body and cant seem to get past that.

Posts: 345 | Location: USA | Registered: 16 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 3 years after treatment for same problem and went to hell and back with the whole radio/chemo treatment.
I have started seeing a NHS shrink once a month to try and help with the sleeping and dreaming and i think the whole talking about it does help...the truth is i don't think we will EVER get over the problem we have but learn to accept it and move on as best as possible. If all else fails have a bottle of wine and watch a episode of the Jeremy Kyle show to show you that your life could be worse.

Posts: 4 | Location: Norwich | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this is a really hard question and one I keep asking myself. It seems to sum me up as to how I am half the time I am ok but theres this niggle at the back of my mind all the time.
When you go through your treatment you have people to talk about and how you feel, but afterwards thats it, you are on your own. Apart from the checkups where its in and out, thats as near as you come to some kind of reassurance. Friends and colleagues dont understand, they just seem to expect you to carry on as if nothing has happened. But then you get a little twinge, or a sore throat and your mind goes into overdrive.
My husband says the week leading up to my check up date is the worst, this month was not good as it was postponed by the hospital for two weeks. I am nearly two years out of treatment and things are much better I can eat anything but still have a dry throat. If I have done a lot of talking during the day, my throat is really sore at night and thats when im looking in the bathroom mirror shining a torch into my mouth checking for anything unusual.
Loved Alistairs comment on the bottle of wine and Jeremy Kyle. I would also love to read how others cope post treatment.

Posts: 85 | Location: Northants. | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gd you have hit the nail on the head.

I am now nearly 4 years out of treatment and have to say that although I dread the checkups they are also good reassurance.

I really have lost my confidence when speaking to people as it sounds as if I have a gobstopper in my mouth sometimes when I talk, and they find it hard to understand what I'm saying. It makes me feel so inadequate at times, especially at work.

However on a better note we are still here and fighting and are very brave people.

Sue

Posts: 93 | Location: King's Lynn, Norfolk | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the advice esp the bit about the bottle of wine!! Yes it is reassuring to have the monthly check ups. There are so many survivors out there which is also reassuring. I think as a mouth cancer survivor being able to eat and enjoy food again is the best cos what do we all turn to as comfort - yes chocolate which I so missed! So yes I guess it is learning to cope with the what ifs and waking up each morning thinking yes Im alive!

Posts: 5 | Location: bromsgrove | Registered: 19 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Sarah94

Being able to eat relatively normally again is a big and wonderful step! After my ng tube was removed and I'd made my way back to solids, all I wanted to do was feast, feast, feast.

I KNEW I'd made it back successfully when, at Christmas 2005, I had a piece of my mom's pecan pie. I hadn't been able to eat it the previous year and it tasted sooooooooo good.

Flappy will be 7 on Friday!

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 941 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Sarah, it's still early days for you really but it does get better. It took me ages to come to terms with being crapped on from a great height but now I just get on with my life and rarely think about it at all. The dreams and panic attacks are long gone so hang in there.
Hagg.

Hagg.

16 years and still kicking it. Never give up your fight.

Posts: 1208 | Location: Devon,UK | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post