Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  General Chat    chemotherapy hair loss
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

chemotherapy hair loss
 Login/Join 
posted
Dear All, My wife's cousin is just about to start 6 weeks chemo and is advised that she will have considerable hair loss.

My knowledge is only relevant to Dry Mouth treatment but for substantial hair loss as a result of chemo does anyone have any indicative idea on how long it could take to regain hair and the quality of such hair when it returns.

My wife's cousin has like any lady looked after her hair since she was first able to dry and style it as a teenager and this is a big phycological blow to her.
Terry Gannon.

Posts: 73 | Location: London, Essex, Kent, Herts, Surrey, Suffolk | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Terry

I can only imagine the difficulty your cousin-in-law is having with the prospect of losing her hair. My neighbor was afraid of the same thing before her treatments for breast cancer started, so she and her daughters got together and shaved her head. It was still traumatic, no doubt, but at least it was all gone at once, not falling out in clumps. Also, her hair grew back softer and finer than it was before.

Your wife might want to take her on a girls' day out, shopping for head coverings before she starts treatments. Many ladies use scarves, but baseball caps, turbans, and even au naturel are options.

Best of luck to all of you.

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 983 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mimi McC
posted Hide Post
Hi Terry,

Hair loss usually begins somewhere between the first and third chemo and often comes out in clumps all in one or two days. The oncologist can probably pinpoint the exact day it will occur; all depends upon the chemo type. Most women here have their hair cut very very short or have their head shaved before the hair loss begins. There are even parties for this! Often the spouse will shave his head as well. Google something like 'lose hair chemo' and you'll get a lot of hits like this one. Play around with google for more answers.

Chemo hair loss

She can also find headcovers on the internet like this site (a US site but you can indicate UK).

Headcovers for chemo patients

Hair starts growing back a few weeks after the last chemo and is often surprising; may be curly hair where before it was always straight or may be a different color or texture. Eyebrows, eyelashes and body hair are sometimes lost as well.

We women are vain creatures. When I had breast cancer one of the articles I read was about women's greatest cancer fears. The most dreaded was hair loss - not pain or health issues.

Best of luck to her.

Mimi

PS: This particular forum is no longer in use. Use General Chat or one of the other forums that best describes what you're researching.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mimi McC,

Posts: 594 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 73 | Location: London, Essex, Kent, Herts, Surrey, Suffolk | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Julia.....a party it is then by the soujnds of it