Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biopsy result
 Login/Join 
Picture of John Spencer
posted
Good evening,
I saw the consultant at Pinderfields a couple of hours ago and he told me that the red lump which he removed from my tongue two weeks ago was precancerous and prompt diagnosis saved a good deal of trouble.
However he still needs to remove more tissue, what he described as a sliver the full length of the tongue which will be done as an inpatient (probably one night,two at the most)we discussed several other lumps and bumps, and whilst these are not of immediate concern it would be better to remove them all at the same time as the necessary surgery, I agreed.
On balance I am satisfied that there is a Santa Claus after all.
Thank you, my friends, for your kind words. May I wish you and yours a very happy Christmas and peace and contentment in the year ahead.
Keep Smiling (I am!)
John

Posts: 566 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
And there was much rejoicing!

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 941 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good Afternoon Julia,
How glad I am that I recognised the potential of the small red lump on the underside of the tongue and requested a priority appointment. It was in fact high grade dysplasia and the safe margin amounted to half the width and the full length of the tongue, I can’t judge the depth of the excision because of the swelling. The tissue was removed by laser so it was self-cauterizing thus obviating the necessity for stitches…. I’m not complaining about that!
We had agreed that all abnormalities should be dealt with as part of this procedure, this amounted to a further eight excisions. One between the left upper lip and the gum, a second one in a similar location on the lower right side, five in the area of the lower left gum from the jaw hinge to the centre line of the mouth.
The most painful, and what is likely to be the most problematic is the result of removing callous tissue from the upper left jaw, this exposed the bone in the area once occupied by all of the molars at that side, it was packed and the healthy tissue was drawn together with stiches. I have misgivings about the method of removal of the packing and stitches, I have an appointment to deal with this 18th Jan, I can’t wait!...............for the 19th.
The surgeon came to see me on Thursday evening with a few instructions and to say I had an appointment on the 18th but he would not be there because he would be on holiday in Las Vegas, I pointed out that any reasonable person would pop back for the day but he did not think that was a good idea. He also said my red wine would not taste very good for a week or so, when I see him again I will tell him he was right but I demonstrated my resourcefulness by buying a bottle of cheap plonk and this did not taste any worse than it normally does.
Typing this short message has left me quite exhausted.
Keep Smiling
John

Posts: 566 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You So Da Man!!! you make me smile SmilerSmiler

Posts: 345 | Location: USA | Registered: 16 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John
Fantastic you spotted it so early, and good luck for next week.
Vicky x

Posts: 120 | Location: cornwall | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good Morning.
Shoshana, I hope your meeting yesterday was better than mine.
I expected two biopsies but three will be necessary. The surgery in January left exposed bone in the upper jaw, this bone is now dead and will have to be ground down to the healthy bone before the tissue will grow sufficiently to cover the exposed bone. This will be done in a couple of weeks time under local anaesthetic as an outpatient. Sounds like another fun filled day I can't wait.........for the week after!
Keep Smiling
John