Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FLORA LONDON MARATHON
 Login/Join 
posted
will anyone be running or taking part on behalf of MCF i would be very interested to find out as i would like to possibly take part as a member of a MCF team.

Mel x

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dr Vinod K Joshi,

Posts: 77 | Location: London | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Melaneib,

I've not got a place in the London Marathon, however I'm going to be running another marathon which is very close to this one.

I don't know if you already have a training plan you're going to use for the marathon, however I'm a member of a running forum (www.runnersworld.co.uk) which may have a suitable plan for you.

Posts: 30 | Location: Petersfield | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Mel and HY4

I should have some news on places for the major runs in January 2007. Will let you know.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Melanieb
I'm also running in FLM, although not for MCF. How's your training going? I'm still trying to get some endurance back after my surgery & radiotherapy - 10 miles is a struggle at present!

HY4
I'm also a regular on Runnersworld forums - what is your RW Forum name? Mine is the same.

Dr Joshi
Are you a runner as well? What running news do you have for us?

Posts: 110 | Location: Devon | Registered: 12 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi 200 Minutes,

I'm a regular on RW (also known by the same name as here). I tend to only post on a few threads though. The Shades Marathon Training is one of them.

I'm going to be doing the Shakespeare Marathon the week after London.

Posts: 30 | Location: Petersfield | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hi All

Unfortunately we weren't successful in the ballot for places for new charities. We have registered for the 2008 & 2009 Great Runs (North, South, Manchester and Edinburgh) and hopefully will have better luck for these.

You are welcome to apply directly on your own behalf and run for the Mouth Cancer Foundation. We will support you where we can and put runners in touch with one another. The link for registrations is: GreatRun Events. Good Luck.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HY4
I'll look out for you over there then. I know Shades, but I don't venture into that thread much. I'm often on the daily training thread, or any event threads that I may be doing. They also started a thread for me when I went in for my op - "Run 200 miles for 200 minutes" - which was rather moving stuff.

Dr Joshi
Unfortunately none of those Great Runs are anywhere near Devon. We do have our own Great run - The Great West Run - in Exeter.

Posts: 110 | Location: Devon | Registered: 12 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm currently on 2 of the event threads. Last year's Blackpool Marathon thread (yes the thread is still going strong!) and the Shakespeare Marathon thread. I'm also in the Micksta training thread. He's been a source of some very good advice last year and helped me design a plan for my 2nd half marathon which resulted in me taking nearly 30 min of my time.

Once I've entered the Shakespeare Marathon and sorted out the justgiving page I'll put up a link here for it.

posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone

I have not logged on for a while i would have liked to form a team for MCF, for the LM it is unfortunate that we were not recognised as a new charity, The great run events seem like a good way to raise money and awareness yes any training tips would be useful i have never participated in a running event before.

Mel

Posts: 77 | Location: London | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mel,

The Runners World website (www.runnersworld.co.uk) will give a lot of training advice.

I'm very tempted to suggest that you perhaps think about running the Stratford Marathon with me, however, because it sounds like you haven't done many running events (please correct me if I'm wrong) it wouldn't be a good idea as they have a cut of time at 11.85 miles which I'm fairly confident I can meet and then another one for the whole event!

If you really want to do a marathon there are other marathons about which have kinder time limits. The Runners World website also has an event section where you can search for events and some of them also have on line entry so you don't have to worry about going through a ballot like you have to for the LM.

There are always plenty of 5k and 10k events which may be better (ie easier to train for and don't have time limits) on the Runners World website where you can raise money for the charity.

My first recent running event was about 3/4 years ago where I ran the Flora Light Challenge for Women in Hyde Park (now called the Hydro Active Women's Challenge where I raised £500+ for Children with Luekemia.

Unfortunately a lot of charities put a huge amount of pressure to raise over £1000 just to get a guaranteed place in something like the LM which is why I've really avoided and gone for a local marathon. I also wanted to if possible deliberately pick a charity which doesn't have guaranteed places in running events as they need more support than others (IMO).

My partner at the moment has a relative who is suffering from jaw cancer at the mo and I have also found out that a few of my deceased family members have also suffered from throat and head cancers.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply no your not wrong i have not participated in any running events and i dont consider my self unfit but my fitness level is not quite high enough to meet the time target you wrote about i will have a look at the website you suggested
Mel x

posted Hide Post
Mel,

If I wasn't quick enough on the half marathon I did I had a couple of alternatives with more friendly cut of times. These were the Halstead & Essex Marathon and the Blackpool Marathon. Halstead is round about the end of May and Blackpool is beginning of June.

Both have on line entry, however I'm not sure what the cut off times are.

The plan I'm using is from a fellow Runners World forumite called Shades and is for 3 days per week over 20 weeks. She has started her own training thread which is kind of like a support thread for those who are using her plan or who just want general advice so she may be able to come up with other suggestions for a marathon.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?U...dte=0&cp=187&v=1&sp=

The above link is to that thread. You will need to register first before you can post on forum and if you would like a copy of the plan you will need to make sure you have email member enabled.

(My forum name on that one is the same as this one)

posted Hide Post
Thank you HY4

<fat buddha>
posted
hi all - especially HY4 and 200 minutes.......

I can also recommend Runners World as I am also a regular over there (same name)mainly in Clubhouse and the Triathlon section....

I'm not running a "straight" marathon this year but I guess the 2 marathon runs at the back end of Ironman Austria in July and Ironman Florida in November do count I guess..........but I don't see me running the whole 26.2 miles after 112 miles on the bike Big Grin

good luck to those raising charitable funds for MCF or wheoever else in marathons or whatever other events they may be doing..........I'd love to raise some funds for MCF this year but I've called in too many charitable favours in the last few years so am having a break this year...........

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <fat buddha>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi FB & everyone else

You'll also find me on the RW forums, posting under 200 minutes (no surprise there then..)

Happy running!

Dave