Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lump INSIDE Tongue
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hey.

I have the same thing in exactly the same position. Its a lump that my teeth have played with for a couple of years now (certain its more than 2 but I'm uncertain on how long). I actually thought nothing of it and now want to get it checked as in the mornings - especially if I wake up on my back - it can be really inflamed and painful if I chew it as I do throughout the day.

It did start out around the size just smaller than a pea, but its more like double that now. It used to go completely by the end of the day sometimes, but within the past year it does not.

No experience in this myself at all but saliva gland does seem to be a reasonable explanation as sometimes when I'm eating it can inflame as if I had just woke up, this kinda hurts a little bit if you try and continue eating, but give it a moment or two to chill and you can carry on the feast.

If your like me then you'll avoid surgery at all costs, I will still go to my GP see if he thinks that it is a serious case though, if not then ill just continue to live with it until it becomes too much to handle.

Thaks for this forum it has eased my mind, but i will still just get it checked to be on the safe side.

Take it easy.

Posts: 1 | Location: Mancs | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, I've also had this lump the size of a pea in my tongue on the left side. I get the worst dry mouth, and my taste buds are also very stand outish(there not huge but still noticeable) I think its causing this because the symptoms showed up just about the same time as the lump. Has anyone else had these same symptoms?

Posts: 1 | Location: greenville | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
since i was about 11 (im 15 now) ive had the same sort of thing in my mouth, left side of the tongue a pea sized lump. it used to be smaller but over the years it has become a bit bigger. not by much tho and not entirely noticeable. there is now another one that i have recently (over the past few months) noticed, it is on the right side parallell to the other one. it is smaller than the one on the left and they are both hard and do not change size during the day. i went to the doctor for a check up and had the doctor feel my tongue, she said she wasnt too concerned about it but another one has appeared since then. they dont hurt unless i bite down on them but then again my tongue is bound to hurt if i bite it. im going to the doctor again soon to check it out again and ill post back what i find out Smiler

mmm rhawr :3 heh...

Posts: 1 | Location: Burlington, VT | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi BabyBee88

I hope your doctor can give you SOME kind of answer. It just seems odd that you've had this for about 4 years and she doesn't seem concerned. Is the upcoming appt with the same dr?

My family took a vacation to Vermont MANY years ago--we were all stunned at how green the whole place was. We visited Burlington, Montpelier and Wardsboro.

But, I digress...

Please let us know how your appointment goes.

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 972 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello ~

I am a 51 year old female in good health. I haven’t smoked in over 20 years (& I wasn’t a heavy smoker, but I did smoke.) I don’t drink alcohol. I exercise regularly.

Some quick timeline backstory . . .

About 5 months ago I had a severe toothache (2nd tooth on the bottom left from center.) Took x-rays & it showed nothing. As I was examining my tooth & the surrounding area I noticed (on the other side of my mouth,) this tiny blue dot on my gum line. After about 3 weeks the dot was removed & diagnosed as a “gingival cyst.” Now by this time, the pain in my tooth had abated, but when I pull my lip back over my tooth I get a pressure of small pain.

About 1 month ago, I woke up and about 15 minutes later I realized my tongue was swollen with a lump (the size of a pea inside of my tongue, not on the outside.) By the time I got to the bathroom to look at it, it was gone. It’s almost at the very tip of my tongue & I can feel it when I press hard between my lips. The oral surgeon that removed the cyst said it’s nothing ~ probably some vascular-like activity . . . but now it’s happened about 4 more times and I can tell exactly when it’s going to come up because right where the lump is, my tongue gets tingly or numb ~ kind like how your tongue may feel a couple of hours after you burn it on something hot. It’s freaking me ~ such a strange thing . . . all these mouth issues. I should probably mention that 4 years ago I discovered a large lipoma (fatty tissue benign tumor) on the left side of my neck.

I’m going to consult w/my ENT doc & see what she says.

Posts: 3 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 07 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi

You're doing the right thing by going to your ENT about this. The things you mentioned that concern me are the tingliness or numbness (my tongue felt like that before I got "Flappy") and the "vascular-like activity" (cancer grows its own set of veins and arteries--like illegal plumbing).

When you go to your ENT, take a list of all of the questions you have, and try not to go alone. It's nice to have a calm head who would be more likely to remember any questions you might have forgotten.

Please let us know how things go when you see your ENT.

Julia

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Julia,

Posts: 972 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mimi McC
posted Hide Post
Alex,

Do everything Julia says! Smoking and drinking are certainly contributing factors, but not necessarily causes - we have all sorts of members who neither drank nor smoked. Go figure. As one of my docs said, "Sometimes it's just a crapshoot."

Let us know the result of your ENT appointment.

Take care,

Mimi

Posts: 594 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I broke a couple of teeth several months ago. They got infected and I went to the dentist today and started on antibiotics and pain meds in preprartion for extraction. I just woke from a nap with a lump inside my tongue that hurts like crazy. After reading these posts I feel better & I will wait for a day or two to see if the antibiotic therapy works. I'll keep you posted on the results...

Posts: 1 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all ~

An update following my ENT appointment. All clear. The tingling feeling I get is in relation to blood rushing to vein at the tip of my tongue. Sometimes it will engorge with more blood, causing a swelling, or in this case a "lump." The doc said I've probably have had these more than I realize & to expect that it will happen again, but there's nothing to worry about. Thanks for the support & best wishes to all.

Posts: 3 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 07 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I really love to hear stories like that. Thank you so much for letting us know your outcome.

Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
.... a lingual varicosity could enlarge with situations that cause a rise in blood pressure e.g. exercise, etc.

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Julia & all of you here at this wonderful site.

And lingual varicosity was the term the ENT doc used during the exam.

Picture of Dove
posted Hide Post
Hello,
A couple days ago (unless it was there earlier and I didn't notice) I became aware of a lump a little to the right of the middle of my tongue about a half inch from the tip (if that matters?). About the size of a pea, like most people have been describing, but it was more oblong than round. It was less painful than it was annoying!
My teeth haven't been able to leave it alone for a few days now and it's gotten more sore, but it feels mostly numb. It seems to have gotten larger over the course of today.

I bought some canker sore patch sort of things that adhere to the sore and are supposed to protect and numb the area. But it was much too bulky to have on my tongue and I needed to talk! so I peeled the patch off. This seemed to take off a good chunk of my little taste buds with it. It didn't hurt but it made the sore much more sensitive to hot foods or liquids. The taste buds have seemed to crop back up over the spot already but they're whitish and odd looking, and the lump is still there with a vengeance.
I've also had a mild sore throat for a while and a very dry mouth. Dry mouth is a side effect of a new medicine I've been taking though. Can dry mouth lead to an inflamed gland or anything? I also have a smooth red strip, on the same side of my tongue, with no taste buds at all. It can get sore sometimes.
I hardly ever drink. I do smoke but I literally go through about a pack in 1-2 months and half that pack is usually bummed to friends that smoke regularly. I guess it would serve me right to get tongue cancer! my parents would be so sad to know I smoke at all. I feel a twinge of guilt every time I light up. But I'm hardly a regular.
I'm 3 years in to college, and in my chosen career path it is vital for me to be able to speak. I'm horrified at the prospect of losing my tongue and ability to speak well. I don't know what I'd do with myself. It's my life.

I'm sorry to ramble, I'm just very scared and can't sleep. Thank you. It's comforting to hear other people's experiences.

Posts: 2 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Dove

First, stop smoking completely, utterly and "once and for all."

The next thing would be to get an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible, whether it's your regular family doctor or the student health office at your college. This site really isn't the place for diagnosis. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, have a list of all of your symptoms and questions with you when you go in. The more information you have for them, the better an answer you can get.

I don't know if this will ease your mind, but half of my tongue was replaced in 2005 and I speak as well as I ever did. People I've met recently don't know unless I tell them (and I do) and folks I've known forever say they can't tell the difference.

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

Julia

Picture of Dove
posted Hide Post
Thank you for being so quick to respond! I really appreciate it.
I'm going to a walk-in clinic today since it's sunday and my regular doc. is closed. They may not be my best bet, but I'm very curious to figure something out. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for your support. It means a lot.

Posts: 2 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post