Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concerned with lump on gum
 Login/Join 
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi John

It's best to err on the side of caution.

This is probably something you won't want to hear, but I've had to have a root canal redone because the initial dentist didn't dig down far enough. (Now I have a crown with a filling in it).

The swelling could be something as simple as a popcorn hull or somesuch making its way under your gums.

Let us know how this turns out.

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 973 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
quote:
an inch above the base/gumline of a previously damaged front tooth that ultimately had root canal about 5 yrs. ago.

Hello John

It is most likely exacerbation (by clenching?) of a quiescent residual infection from the root filled tooth. Please see your dentist for a proper diagnosis and management.

Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes

Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Joshi,

I have a small lump adjacent to my premolars on the left side which is red in color. It is not growing and I had it since August 2009. I went to a doctor and she prescribed me some antibiotics which are of no use. But I do remember it was painful while using those antibiotics because of which she prescribed me ibuprofen. I neglected it later because it is not painful except when I touched it with some sharp things like tooth pick or my brush. Now I am really concerned about this after listening to all the cancer cases. I didn't have any issues with my teeth so far except this. Suggest me what could be the possible cause of this.

Posts: 2 | Location: BOSTON, MA | Registered: 01 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello KAL

Please see your dentist for a problem in your mouth, especially if near your teeth!

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee Banghead

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would definitely do but is it something serious to worry about or does it indicate any symptoms.

Posts: 2 | Location: BOSTON, MA | Registered: 01 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a small lump on my gum above my front teeth about a week an a half ago and I'm a little worried now because I have been chewing/dipping or 3 years now I'm 16 about to get my license and drive my dream car so I am very very worried about getting oral cancer. It doesn't hurt and it doesn't bleed if I pick at it. It seemed to get smaller when I was brushing my teeth every night. I'm going to th dentist on April 5th but it would be nice to get some better advice. Besides from what I read and from what my dentist said it might be a canker sore and I'm proly over reacting this but I don't want cancer. Its also wierd to cause where the bump is located is no where near where I place the chewing tobacco. Thanks

I live my life a quarter mile at a time, for those 10 seconds I'm free, nothing else matters.

Posts: 1 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 22 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi vinod,
I have a small lump above my wisdom tooth on d left side of my gums, and my wisdom tooth is half broken due to cavity...
so is this lump is any symptom of mouth cancer..
because i do smoke about 15-20 cigarettes n last week i drink a lot..
please suggest me asap..
because i m a little worried

Posts: 1 | Location: india | Registered: 27 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Ankush

PLease see a dentist about your decayed wisdom tooth, the lump might be related to an infection from it. He will be able to confirm this or otherwise. Please stop smoking.

Best wishes
Vinod Sigh

posted Hide Post
Hello I am a 23yo male. I noticed a bubble boil thing right behind my molar on top right side. Now that would be where wisdom teeth should be but I have not got them, but can feel them poking through in the other locations. I have no pain and I recently popped it with no pus and no major bleeding other than where I agitate. I am an occasional smoker and a hypochondriac at times. i know the best thing is to see a dentist but im afraid of them cuz of a real bad experience when I was young(I think he lost his license after that idk). So im wondering if my wisdom teeth are coming in could that have caused that? Is no pain normal if they are coming in? Should i be concerned about the bubble?

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi t-hutch - you don't say what age you were when you had the 'bad experience' with the dentist, and even then you say you think he lost his licence. How is it that people are not good at going to the dentist? I actually think men are worse than women for this. Anyway, what I was really going to say was that dentistry has come VERY long way in a comparatively short time. There is nothing to fear from the dentist - and he/she will be honest with you and if there are any doubts you will be referred to the right place. I only saw my dentist yesterday as I have trigeminal neuralgia having had radio and chemotherapy in 2012 for base of tongue cancer, and I wanted 'belt, braces and bicycle clips' reassurance that there was nothing wrong with my teeth. He spent ¾ hrs with me and talked me through how all sorts of things worked, where they were and confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the teeth.

PLEASE find yourself a good dentist and don't be frightened - you need to be able to trust him/her.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Posts: 121 | Location: Winchester, UK | Registered: 02 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post