Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concerned with lump on gum
 Login/Join 
Picture of JamesM
posted
About a month ago one of my teeth fillings got knocked out, this tooth had root canal surgery upon it. Eeker somewhow i have left to teeth alone for nearly a month now without seeing a dentist Eeker the problem is that above this particular teeth the gum has started to develop into a mild lump at times it hurts when i examine it. I eventually went to see a dentist and he prescirbed me some antibiotics in which he said would get rid of the lump. After the course of antibiotics the lump is still there, hence im becoming increasingly concerned that it could be mouth cancer, does this sound like a early symptom for mouth cancer??? i have booked in another appointment for next wed but am getting very anxious and worried that it could be. Im 21 and had smoked for 2 years but have now given it up Frowner Frowner

Posts: 6 | Location: Coventry | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa, JamesM don't panic (yet).

Personally I don't think you need worry - BUT I'm not a medical person. I'm sure you'll get a more professional opinion from Dr. Joshi.

Wait 'til next Wednesday and see what you're told then.

One plus point is that head and neck cancer usually hits us older folk. 2 years smoking almost nothing but better if it hadn't been at all.

How about that for hypocrisy - I smoked for more years than you've lived!!

Whatever keep us posted on your results.

Posts: 252 | Location: halifax | Registered: 23 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JamesM
posted Hide Post
Hope i am over reacting, but reading loads of materials on the internet has got me very worried indeed.. still terrified to be honest, but comforting words like yours does help in their own way, Thanks Razzer

Posts: 6 | Location: Coventry | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hi JamesM

No, I don't think you have mouth cancer Big Grin .

When a tooth is damaged, the nerve dies. Root canal treatment removes the dead nerve tissue and seals the empty root canal space to prevent an infection (abcess, swelling) from the dead nerve tissue that would otherwise rot within the canal! RCT is not always successful, so you can still get an abcess or tender swelling. Antibiotics may settle this. Sometimes re-doing the RCT or an apicectomy is needed. See your dentist and get it sorted.

Ocassionally there is a reaction to a chronic infection or the RCT (some material may extrude out of the root tip) with bone formation and the swelling is hard but not painful!

Now that I have reassured you, please don't light up a cigarette :banghead: ! Please carry on keeping off the cigarettes. Tell your friends to stop, too Wink .

:soapbox: The damage smoking does to health is too large a cost to pay for any benefit perceived

Best wishes
Vinod :coffee:

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3907 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JamesM
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reassurance but best to have it checked, thank you , feel a bit less worried now i have heard advice from a professional like you Big Grin dont worry i wont be having another cigarette in my life, a habit i have decided to stop forever, 2 years is enough for me :sigh:

posted Hide Post
Today, i noticed a hard lump on the bottom right of my mouth. It's located near my tongue, just under my teeth. I am also very worried. It doesn't hurt. I smoked occasionally for about 10-11 years. I am in the process of quitting. I was not a chain smoker, but a social smoker. It could also be something that has always been there, but I am worried.

JB

Posts: 2 | Location: Southeast Georgia | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also just discovered a fairly significant lump growing on on the left side of my mouth, on the outside gums near the front. It's so big i can feel it just touching my cheek. I am 22 and have never smoked! I am terrified that I have lung cancer - can anyone with knowledge help me?

Posts: 1 | Location: IL | Registered: 08 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Sharon,
I'm not sure that I follow the connection between a lump in the mouth and lung cancer,I think you can put your mind to rest on that one.
If the lump does not clear within three weeks you should see your dentist/doctor for a professional opinion.
Keep Smiling Razzer
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the other day i awoke with a small lump on my gum above my two front teeth it didnt seem to hurt so i wasnt very worried but every day it seems to get a little bigger until the other nite it became a problem for me to go to sleep ive never visited the dentist before in my entire life that i can remeber and after looking over the internet im startin to become very concerned i want to take a needle and bust it but im not sure if that would be the smart thing to do does anyone have any suggestions?

Posts: 1 | Location: philadelphia | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello C.B.

You should go and see a dentist. I think it is unlikely to be a cancer and that the lump is probably an abcess from a dead tooth or a gum infection. Sticking an unclean needle into the swelling could inroduce bacteria that aggravate/start an infection. Warm dilute salt water mouth washes held over the area will help the swelling to burst and drain. Your dentist will probably prescribe you some antibiotics if it is an infection and arrange for treatment.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3907 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
okay i'm 17 & i smoked probably like once just to try it & i have a bump on my gum near a tooth that has a cavity; i was wondering if maybe i have oral cancer? i havent seen a dentist in a while but im scared i might have something cancerous.. & i have a little patch around my tongue but i read that it's dead skin OR oral cancer Frowner what do you guys think?

Posts: 1 | Location: mass | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have also got lump on lower gum inward below front teeth.It is about 1 cm long and 0.5 cm in height.I think it is more than 6 months old but without pain. I was not at all troubling me so i ignored and busy with rotine work.In last week I had some gargle with Vokadin now I feel it is causing slight pain and might be formation of blood and puss.I had taken appointment of oral sergon he might suggest me to remove that lump.
Kindly suggest me if you have any input.

Thanks and Regards,
Nahid

Posts: 2 | Location: Mumbai | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have also got lump on lower gum inward below front teeth.It is about 1 cm long and 0.5 cm in height.I think it is more than 6 months old but without pain. It was not at all troubling me so i ignored and busy with routine work.In last week I had gargle with Vokadin and warm water now I feel it is causing slight pain and slight discharge of blood and puss.I had taken appointment of oral sergon he might suggest me to remove that lump(as per telephonic conversasion).
Kindly suggest me if you have any input.

Thanks and Regards,
Nahid

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Vinod K Joshi:
Hello C.B.

You should go and see a dentist. I think it is unlikely to be a cancer and that the lump is probably an abcess from a dead tooth or a gum infection. Sticking an unclean needle into the swelling could inroduce bacteria that aggravate/start an infection. Warm dilute salt water mouth washes held over the area will help the swelling to burst and drain. Your dentist will probably prescribe you some antibiotics if it is an infection and arrange for treatment.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Thanks and Regards,
Nahid

Posts: 2 | Location: Mumbai | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
okay, so after reading this the following posts im very concerned for my own health. I'm 16 years old bout 2 turn 17 on the 10th and scared!! i've been smoking since i was 11 tobacco and the green kind too.

there is what started out as a small lump on the inside of my bottom gum which seems 2 b growing. i tried popping it because i thought it was a blister but it wont pop. it doesnt hurt 2 touch it nor is it discharging puss or blood. I'm worried it could be the start of mouth cancer by the way its getting larger. i have never had a dead tooth nor a gum infection.
but hey, thats what the majority of people do right? over-think every scenario lol..

please let me know wut this could be

thank you,
concerned teen.

Posts: 2 | Location: united states | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello T33N

It is difficult to tell from the photo and not really possible to make a diagnosis over the Internet, only give advice based on informed guesses. It is probably not a mouth cancer but you should see your doctor or dentist for a proper diagnosis. Do let us know how you get on ... and do stop smoking - not worth the risk and ill-health it can bring.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King