Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lump inside tongue
 Login/Join 
Picture of racheal
posted
Hello.

I've been smoking for only a few years, and yes I am quitting right now.

A few days ago, I noticed a lump, about 1/2 an inch long, inside the left portion of my tongue.

It does not hurt, there is no discoloration, swelling, numbness or anything of the sort.

Other than the fact it is a lump, there is no indication that it could be cancer.

I've checked web sites extensively, and have found no mention of having any lumps inside the tongue, but on top of the tongue.

However, I am scared out of my mind, and my doctor's appointment is a few days away.

Any ideas?

Posts: 1 | Location: houston texas | Registered: 15 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Racheal
Soapbox It is always a good idea to stop smoking. Smiler

Look at Figs. 1.37 and 1.39 in Examination Technique with Normal Findings and Structures Mistaken for Disease for pictures of normal appearances. Some lumps seen at the back of the tongue are often part of the normal scenery.There are large bumps on the top surface of the back of the tongue called circumvallate papillae located along the "circumvallate line" and contain taste buds that confer the sense of sour and bitter to the back of the tongue. A lingual tonsil can also be quite prominent and are mistaken by patients for cancerous growths .

Hope that helps give you some peace of mind until your appointment.
Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dr Vinod K Joshi,

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3893 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deanna
posted Hide Post
Racheal,
What did your lump turn out to be?

I'm 36 and delivered my first child this past August. One week after delivery I noticed a pea sized lump in my tongue on the right side about 1/2 inch back from the tip. It was not painful. I saw my ENT doctor a few days later and he did not know what it was but wanted to wait a few weeks before biopsying it to see if it went away. It did not go away, but the size of it did change from day to day. Sometimes it was the size of a pea, sometimes it was smaller than a pea. There was no pain or visible lump, I had to use my thumb and index finger to press and feel it.

After a total of 9 weeks I went for the biopsy and it turned out to be a saliva duct. Some of the saliva was going back inside the duct as oppossed to being pushed out into my tongue. This was the cause for the lump to change in size. It was not cancer and they just removed the whole duct and some of the surrounding tissue.

My doctor is not sure what caused this, it could have possibly been the hormones from pregnancy or just a fluke thing. He does not think I'll have further problems.

I am not a smoker, but I have been a social drinker for years. I am very thankful that this turned out the way it did.

Deanna

Posts: 1 | Location: michigan | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Deanna

Lumps can arise in an upper or lower lip, cheek or tongue owing to an enlarged salivary gland. Most of us remain unaware of them until we start exploring the lip. These lumps could be related to chronic inflammation, or a salivary extravasation cyst caused by trauma (e.g. knock, lip-biting, etc). Occassionaly when damaged, saliva leaks into the tisue and gives rise to a mucous retention (or extravasation) cyst. A biopsy is usually done confirm and to remove it.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee Coffee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dr Vinod K Joshi,

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3893 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone! Just like you MySpamAddress, I have noticed a lump the size of a pea inside the right portion of my tongue, just about half an inch from the tip of the tongue. And yes, in the mornings it feels 'bulkier'. I also press it with my teeth and that seems to decrease it's size, but pressing it too much also makes it painful. I went to an ENT and he told me that sometimes glands in the tongue get blocked and become bulky. Weeks have passed and I still have the lump and I'm getting bothered by it, even thought I don't have sympthoms that might indicate something serious other than the lump itself. In a previous post, a person experiencing the same condition was told that it was due to a salivary duct and that she had it removed. Could the surgery to move such lump cause other complications such as loss of taste or movement, swallowing problems, or even speech? Any feeback would be greatly appreciated.

Racheal, if you still read this message board, could you tells us what your lump turned out to be and how was it handled?

Deanna, could you tells us how the surgery went and if you experienced any complications such as those mentioned above?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 6 | Location: Anaheim | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi! I am so glad I found this site, because I was freaking out before I found you. Suffice it to say, about 2 weeks ago I discovered EXACTLY the same thing you guys have been describing. A small, pea-sized lump inside my tongue. I can feel it when I press my tongue between my fingers and the top of my tongue is every so slightly lighter pink where the bump is trying to protrude. It's on the left side of my tongue, about 1/2" to an inch from the tip, and it's inside--but definitely not along the side rim of my tongue. No other symptoms, discomfort, etc. I first noticed it when pulling a stray hair off my tongue--so I have no idea how long it was there before I noticed it.

I just had the biopsy this morning and I, too, am hoping it is an enlarged gland. It seems like we all have several key things in common--in terms of signs, symptoms, and location. And I have not read or found anything anywhere that described a case of tongue cancer beginning in this way. I'm a little nervous for the results but I'm feeling pretty optimistic that it is nothing serious. I will write back and let everyone know how my biopsy turned out.

Please let me know how each of you is fairing.
Thanks--
tulipula

Posts: 4 | Location: Bridgewater, NJ | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Tulipula

Hopefully it will be nothing serious. Let us know how things turn out.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

posted Hide Post
Please, let us know what it is Tulipula...

Posts: 6 | Location: Anaheim | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pzacaria,
did you ever get your lump diagnosed?

Posts: 4 | Location: Bridgewater, NJ | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I got the biopsy results back and... no one knows what this is. It was negative for any malignant cells and my ENT said that it hasn't proved to be a benign tumor either. The cells were unrecognizable. I asked if it could be a gland and he said that there are no glands in that part of the tongue--so I'm not sure which is correct.

All in all, he said that cutting the lump out would probably be worse than just leaving it be. He's going to check on it again in 6 weeks and he told me to monitor it--if it starts to get bigger it will have to come out. But actually, it seems to slowly be getting smaller.

A little disturbing to not know what it is, but as long as it's not malignant, I'm as OK with it as I can be. If it's still around in a few months, I think I may seek a second opinion, just to be on the safe side.

posted Hide Post
hi racheal. did you ever find out what the lump was? i've had mine for almost a year now and still don't know what is is. it's not painful, just bothersome to have a lump on my tongue.

the only possible thing i could attribute it to is smoking. when i inhaled, the smoke would hit the same spot on my tongue where the lump is now. i smoked socially when i was in college but have long since quit.

my doctor examined it and says it doesn't have signs of cancer. he doesn't know what it is and the only recomendation is to remove it.

just hoping someone had something definitive about what their lump was to help me make a better decision on what to do.....

thanks.

w

Posts: 1 | Location: philadelphia | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am having this problem, but mine hurts. Its on the right side and its really close to the tip. Ive had my tongue pierced, and I smoke. Im afraid. Any ideas??

Posts: 1 | Location: Bensalem,Pa | Registered: 05 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello SuSuBa

You may not have a mouth cancer but you need to see a doctor or dentist to diagnose your problem.

Tongue-piercing is not a good idea as it can cause infections and the stud can damage the teeth. I have seen both. Smoking is also not a good idea. You need to decide if you really wish to take the associated risks. It is your call.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

posted Hide Post
i am experiencing the same thing as everyone else seems to here, i have the swelling INSIDE my tongue and it is about 1cm from the tip of my tongue. I went to the dentist who said it felt like fibrous tissue, but my symptoms seem identical to what other people on here have said. I have never smoked, am 17 years old, and i dont drink eccessively. dentist said dont worry, but gave me a referral to a oral surgery consultant. I am quite worried about what will happen next, and if i need surgery, whats it like???

quite scared, please get back soon

Chris

Posts: 1 | Location: england | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Chris

First, find out what's actually wrong--it's probably not cancer, but DO go to the oral surgery consult.

Each of us has had varying levels of success with surgery, rt and chemo. I had a relatively easy time of it both immediately post-op and now, four and a half years later. The afflicted (left) side of my tongue was removed, along with the adjoining floor of my mouth, and replaced with a piece from my right forearm. From what I understand, the surgery was done through the incision that resulted from a modified neck dissection (done to remove lymph nodes for testing). I breathed through a trach for about a month and had a nasogastric tube for about that long; using my mouth didn't seem like a good idea so I didn't talk for most of that time. The 8 hour plus surgery wasn't exactly my ideal way to spend a Friday, but I'm quite glad that it happened.

I truly hope for the best for you, Chris--you're far too young for this SOB of a disease. Please let us know how the consult turns out.

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 943 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post