Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Questions & Answers    Found a lump under left part of my lower lip.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a lump under left part of my lower lip.
 Login/Join 
Picture of wreckerguitar
posted
About a week ago, i woke up, and out of the blue found this lump right under my bottom lip. It hasn't been hurting, and it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. There is no discoloration, nothing swollan, and the only way that you can fill it is with you fingers or pushing hard with my tongue. It isn't that small, but i am pretty sure that i would have noticed it sooner if it was anything near as big as it was when i first found it. So i am running around freaked out, but i am pretty sure that it came up over night. Also i found a site that talks about a doctor that uses light to see through the lip, and if the lump is not cancerous you can see through it. He supposidly has been using this techniwue for a while and he specializes in cancer. Is that true, cause i ran a light, a redlight pointer across and cant even see the outline of the lump, the light goes through easily throught my lip. Can someone shead some light on this for me. Thank you very much.

Posts: 4 | Location: Houston ,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hi wreckerguitar :wow:

A cancer in the lower lip usually presents as an ulcer. A hard lump in an upper or lower lip is often an enlarged salivary gland related to chronic inflammation, or a salivary extravasation cystperhaps caused by trauma (knock, lip-biting, etc). A biopsy can be done on the lower lip to remove it. Please see your dentist who can refer you to the local maxillofacial unit for investigation.

You may find the following topics of interest:
Lump in mouth
Hard lump in lower lip
Lump in Lip
Lumps in my lower lip

Best wishes
Vinod :coffee:

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wreckerguitar
posted Hide Post
Hey doctor Vinod. I am glad to see that some doctors, like yourself, take time away from work to still help people out with consulting with them. Shows that you are a fine doctor. I was messing with the bump yesterday and i guess made it get a little bigger, but this morning, i can tell that it has shrunk in size, not alot but enough to tell that it has gone down a bit. And trust me after feeling on it all week, i am sure to notice any change in it. I really do appreciate what you are doin on here, and keep it up. And i am sure that everyone else does also. Take care doctor. Oh yeah, i already made a doctors visit, but after seeing so much stuff on the net about this, i am going to make sure that he looks at it good and thourough before releasing me, not going to let him think it is just an infection, i want him to know for sure. ONce again, thank you and take care. Mike

Posts: 4 | Location: Houston ,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi wreckerguitar:boxedin:

Do let us know what it is. You take care, too.

Best wishes
Vinod :coffee:

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wreckerguitar
posted Hide Post
hey peaople, just got back from the doc's office. And nothing to worry about with me, it is called a Musouscel, and it can get bigger and smaller, depending on how much i mess with it, and if you are like me, i cant help but mess with it, but now that i know what it is, i might be able to forget about it. I can go back and have it removed if i want to, but the doc said that he would not encourage that. Right when he checked out my mouth, he said what it was, only because, he himself, have gotten them in the past. He checked out the rest of my mouth, and gave me an ok. So hopefully maybe this might help out with some other cases on here about lumps in the mouth. Please take care everybody, and if you set your mind to it, you cant beat anything that might happen to you. God bless.

posted Hide Post
Mucoceles, which are of minor salivary gland origin, are also referred to as mucus retention phenomenon and mucus escape reaction . Mucoceles are usually removed under local anaesthesia if they become a nuisance when inadvertently bitten into!

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Picture of wreckerguitar
posted Hide Post
if i stick a needle into it, will it leak out fluid, or is it ju a swelling, and nothing will come out of it?

posted Hide Post
You could get it infected. Piercing not advised :bomb: !
If pierced Roll Eyes , you should ooze out thick mucous fluid.

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

posted Hide Post
Fishing for some information, hope this is the right forum to ask.

One fine day morning, all of a sidden I developed a small lump under my lower lip. It is not painful and no itching. I kept it for some months not much bothering about it. But being on my face and curious of what it is, I consulted a surgeon. He straight away recommended for a surgery, termed it as sebaceous Cyst and went ahead. They could find nothing when cut it open, just lot of blood oozing out. I could see nothing for the next two years , but it reappeared. The same doctor went through the same proces once again, but with no improvement in the result. I remember they calling it as "saliva getting hardened". I left it such for another three years before consulting another surgeon who recommended for what was my third surgeory. It was cut open this time from inside, but it didnt do any good.

I can pretty confirm that it is some liquid substance which flows in making it big sometimes (especially in the morning it appears big if I was lying on my stomach the previous night)and shrinking during later part of the day considerably.

I am not interested in another surgeory until it is actually diagnosed. Looking forward to some valid suggestions through this forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Harish Nair,

Posts: 3 | Location: Bangalore | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A variation of the mucous retention cyst ?

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

posted Hide Post
I am not sure whether my description of the lump was misguiding.The lump is actually below my lower lip and just above the chin. Although it can be felt from inside the mouth too (the third surgeory was done keeping that in consideration), it is very much evident and predominant outside.

Posts: 3 | Location: Bangalore | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harish, it is not possible to make a diagnosis over the Internet.

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

posted Hide Post
Ofcourse I agree. I just wanted to double check before consulting because of the three unsuccessful surgeries I went through. Your advise has given me valuable insight and direction Dr.Vinod