Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little Black Spot
 Login/Join 
Picture of ThomasL
posted
Hi! I've had a ache in my back teeth and jaw for the last three days, as if someone had punched me on the left side of the head :banghead: . Also at this time, i've discovered a small black spot on my left inner cheek, the size of the tip of a pencil. This spot isn't part of a sore, and I don't have any sores, bumps, or inflammations in my mouth.
I'll be seeing a dentist for the jaw soreness in any case, but was wondering if a black spot is a very likely warning sign for mouth cancer? Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello ThomasL Frowner

The tiny black dot is unlikely to be mouth cancer Big Grin , but do go and see your dentist for an opinion if it doesn't get better after three weeks.

It is most likely to be a blood clot where you might have bitten your cheek. Read the advice given to Matthew about his little red dot on the inside cheek. The black blister could be related to a blood clot in a blood blister caused by chewing your cheek , again related to jaw muscle activity!

This would relate to the jaw soreness too. Aches in your back teeth and jaw soreness are often due to clenching activity! Read what I said to TC about his jaw ache and see if the advice helps.

Hope that helps Smiler .

Best wishes
Vinod :coffee: Razzerizza:

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ThomasL
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dr. Joshi! On the positive side, this likely false alarm and reading this forum have raised my awareness about mouth cancer. No more occasional cigarette for me :geek: !

Posts: 2 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the positive side, this likely false alarm and reading this forum have raised my awareness about mouth cancer. No more occasional cigarette for me
If only more people could think like this! As I am only 20 years old, and having being diagnosed with tongue cancer I think increasing awareness of mouth cancer is so important! It is often little heard of especially in the younger generation. If I had of heard of this form of cancer I may have been able to recognise that I had it earlier! I am also pleased to read """No more occasional cigarette for me""". I hope to raise awareness of this cancer to encourage more people to stop smoking. Especially young teenagers who smoke as a result of peer pressure and think that cancer only happens when your really old. I hope to educate them that cancer can happen to anyone even though I have never smoked, I hope they listen!

Posts: 52 | Location: England | Registered: 10 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clare, in one respect really pleased to read your posting.

With the vigour of youth you may well be able to acquant those in your age group of the poorly publized dangers of oral cancer.

I wasn't diagnosed until I was 64, and even at that advanced age I'd never realised that you could have cancer of the tongue. Throat, yes I'd heard of that.

Cancer was, most probably, my own fault. For years I'd smoked (approx. 20 a day), drank to excess, and consumed large quantities of rich amd spicy food.

But you, for God's sake, you're only 20. You haven't really had chance to seriously abuse your system.

I can only wish you in your efforts to """educate""" people of your age group, and hopefully younger. What I've found is that most people just switch off if I try to talk (and with me that's a load a fun) about cancer - and that's within my age group!

Hope you let us all know how you get on.

Posts: 252 | Location: halifax | Registered: 23 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post