Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Questions & Answers    Pimples On Inside Lower Lip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pimples On Inside Lower Lip
 Login/Join 
posted
Over the years, I've noticed that I periodically get these tiny (pinhead sized) white fluid filled bumps on the inside of my lower lip, facing my teeth. They look like nothing so much as pimples. I get occasional cold sores, and they don't look anything like that.

I can chew or scratch them away, but eventually they'll return. Right now I have a couple, that I'm trying not to burst so I might be able to show my dentist if I can get an appointment right away.

I'm a little paranoid, because I recently found out from my parents that I had respiratory papilloma as a little kid (<5 years old). I'm worried that these little pimples might mean HPV has moved to my mouth. If so, HPV can in some cases cause cancer - and is contagious. So it'd affect my entire life.

But the fact that they're tiny, don't seem to grow and are fluid filled - suggests they're not papilloma. Could you give me ANY suggestion of what these could be? I could have as many as 6 at a time, they're pin sized, white, and filled with fluid. And they only appear on the inside of my mouth - almost always my lower lip. Any suggestions you have, would help my state of mind until I can get someone to look at what I've got. I just hope they haven't burst before then. :-(

Posts: 3 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: 29 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Melanie
posted Hide Post
Hi there, Raskolnikov... and WELCOME!

I do not have the answers to the symptoms you describe, but encourage you to have it checked out soon, especially since it is both physically and mentally troublesome. You need peace of mind for certain, but it can come only from a thorough medical exam and KNOWING what is going on in your mouth.

Just remember that there can certainly be other explanations for sores/ulcers/spots in the mouth besides cancer. I understand your concerns and anxiety, particularly considering your history of HPV... but, try very hard not to let your worries get the best of you until a professional can assess and provide answers. Difficult to do, I know so well... however, you must fill your head with good thoughts and calm yourself with whatever activities tend to bring you joy, and talk with only positive upbeat people who will add only positive energies to your own.

Post a note as soon as you see the doctor/dentist. There are lots of folks on this site who are interested... and wish the very best for you! Glad you discovered our special group and made your presence known! Wink

From my heart,

Melanie

Posts: 186 | Location: Bedford, Virginia - U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hi Raskolnikov

The 'white' spots are probably normal sebaceous glands: Fordyce Granules. See these links for more information Fordyce Granules 1 and Fordyce Granules 2.

Please see your dentist for reassurance and confirmation

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3905 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, doctor - your links help out a lot. They look very similar to what I have. Except, mine periodically show up - and since I was little, I have a habit of chewing my lips. Since finding out that I had respiratory Papilloma when I was little (a disease my parents don't understand at all) I've been worried that I had these all along. My thoughts for the last couple of days have ranged from wondering if I'll ever have a normal relationship with a woman - or if I'd have to be guilty or concerned about every woman I've kissed throughout my life. I probably got ahead of myself - but I'm a very responsible, moral guy.

It's really been dominating my thoughts, lately. Unfortunately, that same night I must have burst, or chewed them off in my sleep because I don't feel I have anything to show my dentist now. Your links have really relieved me, however to the point that I'll be able to wait to see my dentist without literally going insane. I was aware of Fordyce spots, but not granules.

Thank you very much for your welwishes Melanie. I appreciate your support. Thank you Doctor.

Posts: 3 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: 29 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok - I thought I'd drop an update. The bigger of the spots came back this weekend with a vengeance. It swelled to a "blister" about the size of a pea - so I was freaking out. I actually didn't eat for over 24 hours because I didn't want it bursting before the dentist looked at it. Unfortunately, in my sleep it burst again - but I went to the dentist anyway.

The dentist somewhat casually shrugged off my concerns about Papilloma. He didn't see anything to worry about, and felt the bumps I commented about - saying they were normal. The big "blister" - the nurse over the phone thought was an absess. But my dentist actually said it was a mucocelle - and if I'd come in before it burst, he would have referred me to a surgical center to get it removed.

I'd heard about mucocelle's and discarded that idea, because all the pics I'd seen showed a big blue lump. Mine was totally clear. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it if it does recurr (which my dentist said would happen) and then get it surgically removed if it becomes a problem.

Thanks for the reassurances and information - I'm sorry to have bothered you. But I'm pretty relieved right now.

Picture of Melanie
posted Hide Post
Hello!

First off... No posting on this message board is EVER viewed as a "bother". I am glad you reached out and made your concerns known. Even though answers were to come only from the medical pros... I do hope you were perhaps able to rest a bit better (while awaiting your dental appointment) with the suggestion by Dr. Joshi that the symptoms would likely be something other than cancer.

So glad to read that you are "pretty relieved right now". I'd say continue to be observant and always have things checked out, but don't become "tumor-phobic" either... granted, it can be a fine line... but the trick is to stay on the mentally-healthy side of that fence! (I'm always having to remind myself of the same since my husband has been in remission.) Roll Eyes

Take care. Glad you feel better.

Melanie

Posts: 186 | Location: Bedford, Virginia - U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who were speaking of Fordyce Spots ..I hope this helps you =)

Heyy there loves!..okay for all those who have fordyce spots on their lips..I can't say I've found a cure but I've found something that works AMAZING!! for me.. not to mention it will save you like soooo much money as compared to things such as Co2 laser.. ..

Treatment:

Blistex Lip Medex (In the blue pot)..like $2.00 found at any local drug store like CVS..Rite Aid..ect..at first I thought..My lips were getting really chapped from it..and I thought that was odd..but it was just a process..after two days of feeling like they were chapped..it was really the spots basically like peeling off.. it just feels like dead skin coming off..I would..and still do put a TON on at night..both on the outside of the lips and the inner lips as well..and I didn't take pictures but I can tell you they are literally almost GONE!! =) And my lips feel amazing!!..So If it doesn't work for you don't be discouraged..I didn't think it was working either..but keep with it ..for like a week or two and see how it works..hopefully this helps at least one person!! Good Luck to you all!!

xOx Ashley

Posts: 1 | Location: NJ | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post