Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lump under tongue
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi, I have a lump under my tongue. It is in the floor of my mouth touching my gum. It can't be seen but I can feel it with my tongue. Its about 1-2cm long and is oval shaped. I think its in the sublingual gland. Not sure.

It has been there about 6 months and is painless unless I start messing with it.
I keep thinking it has gotten bigger but I think that might be paranoia.

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow night but I am posting here because I can't sleep and am very worried.

I will update this post after I've visited the dentist incase anyone else is suffering from this. I can't find out much from google about it.

I am only 23. Never smoked/drank so I'm hopefully not at a huge risk of getting cancer but of course thats where you're mind goes and I'm so scared about it.

I would love to hear if anyone has any advice/reassurance/experience of this.

Thank you Smiler

Posts: 3 | Location: uk | Registered: 19 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello stacie88

Let us know what your dentist says. He might need to refer you to an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon for a second opinion, if unsure.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3905 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Thank you for the reply.

I went to the dentist earlier today. The dentist could not find the lump and said its probably bone.
I don't know whether I should find this reassuring, as a dentist of course she knows best but she didn't xray it or refer me or even find the lump. She just suspects its bone and to ignore it.

Does bone just appear like that? It doesn't feel like bone really.
Do you think I should try and get a second opinion?

I really wish she had found the lump or xrayed or something to put my mind at ease Frowner

Also I have little lumps or like a painless ulcer above my impacted wisdom tooth. I thought this might be an infection but she says it is not.
I don't know what these lumps could be. She didn't seem concerned.

Posts: 3 | Location: uk | Registered: 19 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Stacie

I'm surprised that she didn't do an x-ray. Are you limited to a certain number of x-rays in a year?

You're clearly not 100% comfortable or confident with this particular dentist. A second opinion is not unreasonable. If you do go that route, it would probably be a good idea to take a list of all of your symptoms and concerns along.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 981 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post