Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Questions & Answers    Anyone have experience of dental implants?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience of dental implants?
 Login/Join 
posted
Having had a denture made to replace upper molars that were removed prior RT I have struggled with these for some time and am now considering implants as an alternative.

I should say up front that I DID NOT have RT to my upper jaw only the lower so there is no risk of ORN.

I currently only have 7 upper and 20 lower teeth, the uppers in particular are now becoming mobile, one in particular is very loose and is imminent danger of falling out. I am even considering whether I should have the remaining uppers removed and go for the new(ish) all on 4 implants.

Has anyone here had implants either prior or after RT. I am particularly interested in the aspect of dry mouth/gums and if this is worse with implants?

Anybody offer any advice on this?

Posts: 32 | Location: Berkhamsted, Herts | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, Ian. I will say straight off, I can't answer you at all on this, but I am definitely interested in the answer. I have been advised that I certainly cannot consider implants for at least another year, and on the lower jaw, maybe never, so if anyone has info. or experience in this, please tell us!

Posts: 83 | Location: Montpellier France | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Ian

Dental implants work well in mouth cancer patients, the risk of ORN and limited mouth opening being the only contra-indicators.

I suggest that you ask for a referral to your local hospital's restorative dentistry consultant for an opinion and treatment plan to find out whether, a partial denture, conventional full denture or an implant retained denture might be best for you.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3909 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell Vinod and thanks for the reply, I am aware of the risks of ORN although in my case they don't apply to my upper jaw. I also know that I need to be assessed correctly to see if I have had too much bone loss to be able to take implants.

In this instance I was more interested to learn of practical experiences people have had particularly in relation to dry moth and whether full denture implants cause a problem because of dry gums.

I am currently being treated by the restorative dentistry department at the London Hospital. They have made me a standard upper denture, But it has take 15 months from impressions being taken for the consultant to decide they have been so poorly made and ill-fitting that they will need to be re-done.

Personally I am very reluctant, to go through this process all over again and wait another 15 months to find I still cant wear them (I suffer from gagging)

I have in the past repeatedly asked about implants only to be told the risk of ORN is too high, when I say I have not had radiotherapy to my upper jaw I am told they will need confirmation from my oncologist. This I have done 3 times now twice by letter on once by email. When I raise it again its like it never happened.

Its been an incredibly frustrating experience and not one I am keen to repeat hence me know looking to get this done privately.

Posts: 32 | Location: Berkhamsted, Herts | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ian. I have recently been discharged after 5 years of post cancer treatment check ups. I had RT for base of tongue cancer and all through this time my teeth have degraded. I have had crowns,extractions and countless fillings. My remaining teeth are in a sorry state. Recently I had an appointment with the Birmingham Hospital Restorative Dentistry team and have now been referred to the North Staffs team for a consultation on the 14th December and hopefully this will be the start of the process for implants. I will let you know how I get on.

Posts: 185 | Location: Staffordshire, UK | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Robert, I hope you had better luck than I did. Hopefully Birmingham will do you proud,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanP:
Having had a denture made to replace upper molars that were removed prior RT I have struggled with these for some time and am now considering implants as an alternative.

I should say up front that I DID NOT have RT to my upper jaw only the lower so there is no risk of ORN.

I currently only have 7 upper and 20 lower teeth, the uppers in particular are now becoming mobile, one in particular is very loose and is imminent danger of falling out. I am even considering whether I should have the remaining uppers removed and go for the new(ish) all on 4 implants.

Has anyone here had implants either prior or after RT. I am particularly interested in the aspect of dry mouth/gums and if this is worse with implants?

Anybody offer any advice on this?

Well I had dental implant after RT, and I have no dental implants problems dealing with it. You can go for it without a second thought! Get denture is not long lasting as compared to dental implants. Dental implants are basically a fixture which screws into your jaw bone to support your porcelain crown, totally different than dentures and bridges.

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 18 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post