Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Questions & Answers    Lump in roof of mouth - not discolored
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lump in roof of mouth - not discolored
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Dr Vinod K Joshi. Dont know where to start here, im 30, female, dont smoke, never have done, very rarely drink. Thing is for 18 months now I have had this small lump in my top palette level with the wisdom tooth. My wisdom tooth became infected along with the tooth next to it which went undiagnosed for over 2 years previous, this gave me sepsis and sinus related problems. They could not find whether the problem was to do with my sinuses or my teeth as the teeth looked fine, the teeth were white and in good condition but found out that the roots were dead and didnt get any pain from any of the cold tests they did on them. Eventually they were removed by my maxilofacial surgeon and all my sinus symptoms cleared up and has been fine ever since. but just a week before they were removed this lump developed in my palatte.

I went back to the maxilofacial surgeon, he told me that it was nothing to be concerned with. Since then the lump hasnt given me any problems for the last 18 months, has been painless, however I did find that if I gently rubbed it with my thumb (what I called Milking it) the lump felt smaller.

About 1 yr ago I asked if I could have a CT scan done on it and they completed this and said that there was nothing showing on the CT scan, I told them that I didnt believe them because I could feel the lump there.

Over the last few weeks it has felt a bit sore to touch and appeared red so I went to my doctor and he said that I already had an open appointment to see the Maxilofacial surgeon at the hospital. I went to see him and he said that he would do a biopsy, they was supposed to do a 4mm biopsy which turned into a 6mm one. They took 3 bits of tissue to be tested. Havent got the results back yet, they said 6 weeks but I dont want to wait that long, will be phoning them up soon to see if they are back yet.

The hole they left if about the size of a small pea now. Frowner what I would like to know is, will the biopsy hole heal? close in, im not worried about a scar there but would hate to have the hole there for good and how long does it usually take to heal. Its been 2 weeks since the biopsy. When they do a biopsy, does that mean that they have taken away all of the lump or a portion of it? And from I have told you here about what I have been though what would your views be on what it could possibly be?

Im a woman, I worry about these things.~

Many Thanks
T.

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: 18 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Theresa

The biopsy site should heal over with a scar defect but no hole. If there is one , it can be repaired and closed.

Do check on the biopsy result but they should be in immediate contact if they find anything that requires urgent attention.

Meanwhile, let's hope for the best. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3907 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Vinod for your fast reply. Im so glad to hear that the hole will heal over, but im intrigued to what they will do if it doesnt, as they said that they couldnt put stitches there as the pallet tissue is tight. At the moment the front of my palette is still numb, I hope that is alright. I guess that is where they cut though nerves.

Thanks again, I will keep you updated. Got to wait 4 more weeks before the re-appointment.

T.

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: 18 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hello. I am a naughty boy becuase I chew tobacco. I have been chewing for about 7 years, and I am a 30 year old male. Now, I have noticed a small lump on the roof of my mouth. I have actually noticed it for years now. it doesn't hurt, it is hard, located on the roof of my mouth kind of towards the right. It almost feels like a part of my mouth, about the size of a BB. Every now and then it might swell up if I eat something hot. Right now I have been fighting a nasty cold and it has swelled up the past few days. I am extra worried because I chew. I know it is awful that I chew and I am trying to quit.

any insight?

Posts: 1 | Location: Bellingham, WA | Registered: 20 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Naughty Boy,
I tend to agree with you that chewing tobacco is,and I quote you, awful.It is also rather hazardous,if you want to quit you can do so but you have to want to do it not just pay lip service. If you need a nudge in the right direction consider the following points:-
1)All tobacco use involves serious health risks
2)A high percentage of mouth cancer patients are/were recent tobacco users.
3)The suvival rate for mouth cancer patients is less than 50%.
4)Treament for mouth cancer is always quite drastic.
Read the postings on this web site about the difficulties which patients have to live with.
Then ask yourself "do I really need a nicotine fix so badly as to take these risks?"
The description of the lump in your mouth does not sound typical of mouth cancer but see your dentist and get it checked out.
Just one more thing, on Christmas eve post a message here saying simply "I quit and it was not too difficult"
Keep Smiling
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ANANTH
posted Hide Post
Dear John,
as the new McDonald slogan goes - I am loving it!! the jokes I receieved are just fantastic and am sure have travelled almost to every continent by now. Do keep sending them,,, and John......
Keep smiling Smiler
love,
Ananth

Live on your beliefs and strength- and you will become immortal.

Posts: 1181 | Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anthony Gears
posted Hide Post
Hi Naughty boy

Chewing tobacco eh? Any insights eh? Yes - stop it! There's an insight for you. It's about as sensible as playing Russian roulette or juggling hot irons, or swimming backstroke in a shark infested pool, or any other silly things you could be doing. In all seriousness - you REALLY don't want oral cancer friend so stop it - stop chewing tobacco now! NOW! I gave up smoking years ago - 25 years before the cancer - and if I could stop smoking you can definitley stop chewing!

All the best - but do it and do it now!

Tony

Posts: 116 | Location: Stockton on Tees | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, i am a 25 year old female. After reading over this i suspect its a canker sore, or that torus thing. but i have had a bump at the top of my mouth for about two weeks. it isnt painful. I have tried scratching it, nothing, no bleeding, no pussy. its hard smaller then the size of a pea and kinda bumpy, just like the opposite side of the ridge (its top right of my hard palate) theres weird bumpy ridges, its like that only a bit swollen.
I recently had pneumonia, and after getting over that had strep throat, i was in turn on antibiotics for nearly a month.

I am a smoker, but have cut down drastically and ready to quit.
This isnt discolored, its just the pinkish reddish tinge of the mouth and its barely noticable but I NOTICE IT! lol.
when i run my tounge over it it doesnt hurt or anything.
Should i be concerned?

Posts: 1 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually get them when eating
(moslty sour,salty,tangy foods or sometimes drinks) but can get eating anything. Small bumps on roof of mouth. I usually pop mine, some are harder than others, The pain goes away and I keep eating, they can come back before I get done eating, but then I pop it and its gone.
I can get 1-4, Got one hard kinda big one tonight eating a steak with a-1... Popped it and kept eating!!! Smiler

I HOPE THIS HelpS!

"Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice." ..Same for me

Posts: 1 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hi All

It is not possible to give a diagnosis over the Internet. If you find a lump in your mouth that concerns you, please see your doctor or dentist for an opinion and diagnosis. Not all lumps are cancers but you should know what it is. It is not possible to give a diagnosis over the Internet. If you still have concerns after seeing your doctor, I would be happy to suggest my thoughts on your problem and your next step.

Best wishes

Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3907 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys
Ive had the same thing for a few years now its not growing, healing or hurting at all the problem is i want to get it checked out but i forget that its even there but sometimes i put my tongue on it by accident and i remember its there and say to myself ill check it out, but then i forget again..
But im guessing its been like that for a few years if it was serious it would have some side effects or not

Posts: 1 | Location: Sydney | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, i have also noticed recently a lump on the roof of my mouth. I feel it with my tounge and i think this makes it seem bigger. when i look at it in the mirror it looks raised and white, not sharp, a rounded lump. it is painfull to touch and i dont know wither or not to worry. how long is to long to wait to get it checked out? i am only 21 years old, am i naieve to think that my age means the chances of cancer are low?

i hope someone can put my mind to rest.

thanks

Ross...

Posts: 1 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Ross

Unfortunately, this isn't a good place to get a diagnosis. The best advice I can give is to see your gp or dentist about it as soon as you can.

The best way to put your mind to rest, oddly enough, is to get this thing checked out. That way you can either get on with your life if it's not cancerous, or you can start treatment quickly if it is. Believe me, I'm really hoping for the former for you.

I wish I could give you a better answer. Please let us know how this turns out.

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 987 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good evening Ross.
It was generally thought that the group most at risk of mouth cancer were elderly male smokers, and to a large extent this remains so but in recent times the net has been spreading wider to include younger people and more females but the incidence declines as you move away from the main "at risk group". Having said that, there are many reasons why lumps and bumps appear in the mouth and most of them are easily dealt with but from time to time more serious problems can crop up and delay in diagnosis increases the severity of the treatment so your best bet is to see your dentist or GP in the next day or two.
You ask if you should worry about the lump, I don't think any of us have much control over whether we worry or not,so get professional advice them hopefully you will have no need to worry. Please let us know how you get on.
Keep Smiling
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't normally drink or smoke, but it was my friends birthday a week ago and I did a little of both. A day or two afterward my mouth was really sore on the front left side like i had bruised it, and it would kind of effect my teeth, but when it did it would switch teeth. The day after the soreness started it felt more smooth and still hurt but mostly only when i applied pressure. A couple days after it felt smooth it swelled up quite a bit (like a really stiff blister) in the course of less than 24 hours. It's been swollen for a couple days now and it's driving me crazy, though the pain's not as bad as when it wasn't swollen at all. I wish I could pop it but it really doesn't feel close to popping at all. It hurts more when I eat (especially cold things) but it's kind of bearable except for that I'm so scared. I'm going to make a doctors appointment this week or next I think, but I was wondering if you could speculate on what it is or how if I should see the dentist/doctor/ent?

I thought it was an abscess maybe but none of my teeth hurt when I tap on them, and I thought maybe it was a blocked salivary gland (it's not discolored or warm like an abscess) but I just don't know. I took a picture, any help would be much much more than appreciated.

Thank you.

here's what it looks like -

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...es7he7ized/mouth.jpg

Posts: 2 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post