Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Questions & Answers    Lump in roof of mouth - not discolored
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lump in roof of mouth - not discolored
 Login/Join 
Picture of Thatch
posted
Hi all. This past weekend I noticed a lump in on the roof of my mouth that I'm sure is fairly new. It is smooth, like there is a match head or almost a bb embedded under the skin. It is not notably discolored. Feels like there is a little bump next to it.

I'm 25, never smoked, infrequent casual drinker. I grind my teeth when I sleep and was just fitted with a new mouthguard for that.

I do intend to get it checked out ASAP, but I am in Europe on business until the end of the week (I don't speak the language, and I have no idea how my insurance would even work over here).

So basically I have 5 more days to worry about it until I can get it checked out. To sedate my worrying, I would like to know what this could be besides some kind of tumor. How serious does this sound? What else could it be?

I had a dentist appt a month ago, and he didn't notice anything. As I said, I just noticed it this past weekend. Seems like it came on rather fast. Is 5 days too long to wait?

Thanks for any help. (And thanks to Google for pointing this out to me.)

Posts: 4 | Location: midwest usa | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Thatch

I wouldn't worry over the next 5 days, instead enjoy the trip to Europe! You don't rate highly in the mouth cancer stakes. The tiny bump is probably a blocked minor saliva gland or vesicle (viral infection) or reaction to minor trauma (food). A mouth cancer lump (or cyst) would grow bigger with time. Give it three weeks and see. If still there or you are still worried you could see your dentist back home.

Regarding your bruxing, try my splint of air advice. It is more comfortable! Big Grin

Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Vinod :coffee:

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3907 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thatch
posted Hide Post
What's it been, 8 months now? Here's the rest of my story (spoiler: it's not cancer), and a new twist I'm hoping someone can advise me on.

I procrastinated, and finally got it checked out in March or April. The doc reached in my mouth, felt around for not very long, told me it probably wasn't anything, and then charged me $100. He said my mouth was always like that, and I probably never noticed it before.

Not quite satisfied, I pressed him, and he said I could get a CT scan. So I did. And it apparently didn't show anything abnormal.

Great, right?

But I have another question. In the past six months, I've grown pretty familiar with the shape of my hard palate, since I've been understandably obsessing about it. So...

Today, I noticed another bump! It's a couple mm away from the first area (in the hard palate). It feels like a small isolated protrusion... kinda "sharp", I guess. This guy is definitely new. And recent. Going by memory, it reminds me of the first bump I noticed, though the first bump is no longer like that (though there is a shallow raised area there now... which might have always been there?).

I poked and scratched the new one with my fingernail to see if it would burst as if it was some kind of sore, but it appears to have more substance than that. I assume that its beginnings would have been caught by the CT scan if it was something cancerous... but that leaves the question, what the heck is this?

Posts: 4 | Location: midwest usa | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thatch
posted Hide Post
I examined it with a flashlight today. It's white.

Picture of Thatch
posted Hide Post
The next day, it mostly receded. I have no idea what it was. There's still a little nub, but I think that will be gone soon. Huh.

posted Hide Post
hi Vinod

I'm very worried as I also have a small lump of a similar description to Thatch, which appeared last week on the hard palate in my mouth. It is close to the top of the palate but offset to one side of the central ridge. Looking on the internet has made me paranoid about what it could be as some cancers fit this description perfectly.

My lump is probably not more than a few mm across, is slightly painful at times (although this could be psychological - when I think about it), is not discoloured and has been there for about 5 days. My boyfriend has looked in my mouth and says that he can't really see anything.

I'm going to see the doctor about it this week but I'm worried about getting a vague diagnosis. If it is an infection or blockage of a minor salivary gland, how long would you normally expect this to last? Is there anything I can do to speed up recovery? Finally - and sorry for all these questions; I have been quite stressed lately and I wondered if this may have helped to bring this on.

Any advice you can give will be much appreciated.
thanks in advance
K

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the same, the internet is a very bad doctor.

I am troubled with mouth ulcers - especially at times of stress. Last April I had a small ulcer on the roof of my mouth that I hoked at with a fingernail.

It healed to be a very small lump 1-2mm on the curve of the roof my mouth.

I looked on the internet and paniced, went to the Dr who used to be a dentist. He then told me the only thing he had seen at that site was some ananiod sarcoma (or something) but he did not think it was that. There was another Dr there and I ofcourse paniced despite their approach being almost jovial. He told me to check it out with my dentist as it was probably tooth related.

A paniced me went the very next day, I spoke to the dentist on the phone who was shocked at the comments of the dr, and said it was anything he would have me referred immediately. I took a look at it and commented it was small and probably nothing tell me to come back in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I am back and he feels both sides of my mouth, comments on no change and said it was probably there before, or even scar tissue from the ulcer as the skin on the roof of the mouth is only about 3mm thick.

A month or so later, it is still there and I am beginning to worry again, I pick at it, it heels to form a lump, so I pick at it again and the cycle begins again. My wife has had a look can see nothing and finds it very hard to feel.

I constantly rub it with my tongue and notice it is hardly there when I wake but later after rubbing for a while it is more apparent.

I am 32 and the problem is if you search for anything with the word lump in it the stories are scary. The dentist said if he had any concerns he would have refered me immediately.... but I still niggle. I realise I need to leave it alone but I have had torches in there, and even taken a look with a webcam, there is nothing to be seen only felt and it is very small to feel..... but I worry far too much !

Do things on the roof of the mouth takes ages to go away completely ? (if I left it alone that is).

ParanoidFrowner

Posts: 6 | Location: uk | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WinkHi...
I have an almost identical situation...About 3 weeks ago, I had an ulcer on the roof of my mouth. Right next to it,I felt a tiny little bump. It's on the left side of my hard palate.
The ulcer healed, but the little bump is still there..about the size of a bb. It's barely palpable in the morning, but the it becomes more obvious as the day progresses.
You're right...as soon as you type in "Lump on roof of mouth", all kinds of scary things come up.
I have an appt. sched. with my dentist for 7/17, after my vacation...Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing!
Faith~

Posts: 3 | Location: NJ | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hi Ka, Paranoid and Faith

You are doing the right thing if you are getting your dentist/doctor to have a look. If they aren't sure or are concerned they would refer you for a second opinion. Meanwhile stop investigating (playing with it) with your tongue/finger/etc. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3907 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply.

neither my doc or dentist thought it was anything, infact my dentist stuggled to find it at times. I think my tongue amplifies the size. I notice when I pick it (yes I know) it goes smooth and the lump only forms as it heals. I think I may be causing my own anxiety Frowner

sorry

Para

Posts: 6 | Location: uk | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eeker Ugh Hi Para and Dr.~
Thank you for your response Dr.
I'm right there with you, Para...Just on the other side of the ocean!
I will also admit that I have been, "tampering" with my lump as well...and same thing. As it heals the lump forms...It's bizarre though, because, when I wake up, it's teeny-tiny, but as soon as I have coffee and the day progesses it gets bigger. Would cancer shrink and then enlarge in a minor salivary gland...I am going to the dentist, just grasping at straws to be able to enjoy my vacationin the mean-time.
My sister was diagnosed 2 months ago with Ovarian Cancer and Breast Cancer,Stage IIIC, out of the clear blue. It's been rough..and I know that stress could have very well caused whatever this thing is, in my mouth.
I'm 36,with a little boy to take care of...and the thought of any type of cancer is so scary.
Thanks for listening.
Faith~

Posts: 3 | Location: NJ | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know faith. It sounds as if we have identical problems. Lets face if if you had a sore on your arm that you messed with everytime if nearly healed the same thing would happen. My Dr and dentist have both seen mine and didn't think it was anything - else they would have referred.

I think we need to stop messing with them. I think sores in that local such as ulcers can leave scars that take longer to heal. lets face it food and hot coffee hitting them is going to slow down the process, add to that the constant abuse by fingers etc what hope do we have.

I think if we left them alone all would be well ?

The worry is the worst, I find myself using my tongue as sand paper rubbing at it constantly... I think that is what makes it bigger during the day.

posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Sigh Yep, Par....I'm sure you're right. Now, if I could just leave the darn thing alone! Smiler
Best wishes to you, Faith~

posted Hide Post
hi all

Just to let you know I got mine checked out by the doctor (who could see nothing and advised me not to worry), and now by the dentist. The dentist said that it appears to be a bony protrusion (a torus) and it has probably been there for some time. He thinks I may have injured it with some food which brought it to my attention in the first place. I will keep an eye on it but for now, my mind is slightly more at ease.

k

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi everyone,

I too have had a small lump on the roof of my mouth, just left of the center ridge and about halfway back. I first noticed it about 8 months ago and basically ignored/forgot about it because it was small and painless. I did worry a bit in the back of my mind, though, because it was something that seemed deep under the skin. It felt like a smooth protrusion - like a BB under the skin or something.

Anyway, about two weeks ago I noticed it again and it had grown larger - about the size of a pea, still deep under the skin. It was just slightly tender, but there was no discoloration. After seeing some posts here and elsewhere I really started to worry and went to the doctor.

My doctor looked at it and said that it's a cyst that probably became slightly infected and grew larger as a result. He has me applying hydrogen peroxide three times a day, and since starting that a week ago, not only has the recent swelling gone down, but the lump has nearly disappeared completely. I'm noticing as of the last day or so it almost seems to be coming to a head, and I suspect (hope!!) it will dry up completely. My doctor did say that the hydrogen peroxide might not completely erradicate the cyst, and I may need to go to an oral surgeon to have it removed. Hopefully this will not be the case, but at least my cancer fears have been alleviated!

My main point in sharing this is that there is much on the internet that can make a person feel like they should be making funeral arrangements, when more than likely the worrying is unnecessary. I think the best bet is always to see a trusted physician who knows all the possibilities rather than trying to self-diagnose based on a sampling of worst-case scenarios.

Posts: 1 | Location: NY | Registered: 27 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post