Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard lump on lower lip
 Login/Join 
Picture of paul333
posted
I'm 24 years of age and just noticed a hard lump the size of a pie (pea?) in the centre of my lower lip. I cant see it but I can feel it its not painful. What could this be?
I use to smoke but have stoped smoking for about seven months now

Posts: 1 | Location: uk | Registered: 11 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hi paul333

It is great to know you have stopped smoking. Smiler

A cancer in the lower lip usually presents as an ulcer. A hard lump in an upper or lower lip is often an enlarged salivary gland related to chronic inflammation, or a salivary extravasation cystperhaps caused by trauma (knock, lip-biting, etc). A biopsy can be done on the lower lip to remove it. Please see your dentist who can refer you to the local maxillofacial unit for investigation.

See also my previous post to Jen. Hope that helps.

Best wishes
Vinod :coffee:

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post