Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Questions & Answers    Bump behind lower front teeth inside the floor of the mouth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bump behind lower front teeth inside the floor of the mouth
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello everyone,
Hope you are all going well.

Luckily it's not me that's asking for an opinion this time. I'm doing it for my mate. I've talked to him about my salivary gland problems and it turns out that he also has an oral problem.

He made an appointment with the dentist based on my advice but it's not until after the new year. I just wanted to describe what is going on in his mouth so you can please tell me an opinion whether it is too late to wait until after the new year!

He has a lump inside the floor of his mouth, it's completely inside, nothing can be seen from outside on mucosa. It's in the floor of the mouth behind lower front teeth, on the left side, it's not attached to gums. It's feels oval, rather hard, around 1 cm long and maybe half centimeter wide.

I've felt it under my finger (it can only be felt from inside of mouth, not under the chin) and it's definitely movable and seems rather well defined. It might be connected on one side though with the fleshy bits. I seem to have the same thing in my mouth, on both sides but they're a lot smaller, they're like in a chain with other similar lumpish things.

My guess is lymph node or salivary gland and by what I've learned, if it movable there is low possibility it's cancer but nevertheless I've told him not to worry and to be vigilant. His dentists wasn't worried over the phone. Since it's movable he said it's probably some cyst or something else.

As far as he knows he had it for 2-3 months (he noticed it by accident) and in that time he says it didn't hurt him nor grew (to his knowledge).

So what could that be? Any opinions?

Thanks for everything!

Posts: 14 | Location: croatia | Registered: 29 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for bothering again but I'm asking once again for the piece of my mates mind.

Does anyone have any idea what could his problem be?

He tried to get an earlier apointment but his dentist said once again that if it's movable, it is definitely nothing serious and that it can wait another 15 days. Does that make any sense?

I'll try to get my mate to see my dentist who is rather more thoughtful but until then I would really appreciate some of your thoughts.

Thanks,
All the best health in the new year!

Posts: 14 | Location: croatia | Registered: 29 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well, i already feel rather stupid talking to myself but here is what was said to my mate after he visit the dentist. hopefully, it'll help to someone passing along in the future.

anyway, it turned out that after my mate followed it for few days that his lump was changing size almost daily, sometimes growing up and becoming really hard, and then on other days becoming smaller and softer.

after he explained this to a dentist, and after the dentist had a poke around, he was told that its probably only a stone in sublingual gland since cancer doesn't move freely about and doesn't change size to smaller, only to bigger.

after that he was told that since he doesn't have any pain whatsoever that he just keeps an eye on it and come back if it starts to grow and/or hurt. needless to say my mate was rather relieved.

does this make sense? can gland enlarged from stone really be hard?

Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Elmosfire

Have a look at Salivary Gland Stones (Salivary Calculi). It should help your friend ask appropriate questions to clarify the diagnosis made.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But if it was a salivary gland stone wouldn't it had showed in the x-ray?

Posts: 1 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: 24 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GET A BIOPSY!!!

Our dealing with a very small canker that would come and go has turned into a horrific cancer ordeal. We are healing now, but please get a biopsy.

Head and neck cancers are sneaky and lethal if left to long.

2 dentists said it was nothing, a 3rd requested a biopsy. Don't delay!

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello my name is norma, im 56 and female. i found a hard lump in lower jaw behind teeth on left side, approx 4mths ago. since then ive had two prescriptions fo anti/biotics and the meds i have finished yesterday was 1000mg penecillen to be taken 4 times daily. i was given them for an unrelated matter, even so the lump is still there and beginning to hurt both inside mouth and the jaw line. im not the bravest where dentistry is concerned and was thinking of seeing doctor instead. does this sound like a cancer also my glands in neck are slightly enlarged for sometime
can you put my mind at ease or give some advice thankyou norma

norma yvonne marchant

Posts: 1 | Location: london uk | Registered: 02 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Helllo shuffle

It is not possible to made a diagnosis over the Internet. Please see your dentist who might be able to assess the lump. It might be a normal boney swelling called a mandibular torus (hence no response to the incidental antibiotics).

Best wishes
Vinod

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holey hell im scared now. Ive had a lump inside the lower side of my jaw, on the inside. When i was a child, the "dentist" (he was bad at his job) told me it was regular for the bulges to come out, EVEN THOUGH VERY LARGE, and that if the other one on the opposing side were to not come out, then it would be concerning. So now im 22, and just last year, and this year, ive asked several doctors, and they just think its a gland issue. . . I used to have soars in my mouth as a child lots, and it dosnt move... it has gotten larger and smaller, but only slightly, and it is large enough to take up space and make my tounge set irregularly. My great aunt has been riddled with cancer several times, but beating it lots, and my brother has lost his man parts to cancer. DO U THINK I HAVE CANCER???? i have lots of other health ups and downs for my age, and am always struggling. UH i wish there were good doctors around here

Posts: 1 | Location: Surrey | Registered: 28 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post