Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

blood blisters in mouth???
 Login/Join 
Picture of pb1322
posted
recently, i have been noticing these blood blisters like things on the inside linings of my mouth. there are not a lot but i dont know what they are so i am concerned. i get them very few weeks it seems. they dont hurt. i have been just squeezing them until they pop and a little blood comes out. after i do that, they go away in a few days or so. needlessly to say i want to know what they are. i would appreciate it a lot. hopefully they are not serious. thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: illinois | Registered: 08 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hi pb1322

Hope this information from the prematuree website helps:
quote:
Question: What medical condition causes blood blisters to occur in the mouth, on the tongue, and on the inside of the cheeks?
Answer: Countless conditions can cause blood blisters. To find out which one is the culprit, you need to pay attention to how severe the blisters are, and how often they come and go. You may also need a diagnosis from your doctor.

"If you find one or two that heal up within a week, it may be something as simple as stress, or biting or burning your cheek, and you probably don't need to worry," says Dr. G. Scott Heron, an assistant professor of dermatology at Stanford University. "But if it's recurring all the time -- and if you get multiple sores in your mouth -- you should seek treatment right away from a dermatologist or an oral biologist."

Recurrent blood blisters could signal problems that necessitate medical treatment. The most common of these is oral herpes, a viral infection that flares up periodically and has no known cure. Oral herpes signals its arrival with tingling or discomfort (a prodome) where a blister is about to appear. Soon afterward, blisters erupt on the tongue, the gums, or the cheeks.

Herpes sores commonly appear on the palate, starting out as small blisters that soon run together to form one painful, large sore. Flare-ups can be triggered by stress, food allergies, dental treatment, mouth injury, or sunburn on the lips. Taking vitamin C during the prodome may help clear up ensuing sores faster. And taking herpes medication like acyclovir (sold under the brand name Zovirax) will inhibit the reproduction of the virus that causes the blood blisters in the first place.

If herpes isn't the trouble, you may be infected with some other virus. Or you may be having an adverse reaction to medication. You could even have one of the rare genetic disorders (like epidermolysis bullosa, pemphagus, and pemphagoid) that cause blood blisters in the mouth.

For a precise diagnosis, you'll need to see a doctor. In the meantime, if the blisters sting or itch, you may want to treat them with an over-the-counter mouth sore treatment like Orabase or Zilactin.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dr Vinod K Joshi,

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3906 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pb1322
posted Hide Post
ok well all that website did was raise my blood pressure and scare me. i was told that oral herpes hardly ever affects the inside of the mouth. there is no tingling or anything before these things pop up. they just appear. i also think herpes sores would hurt. these dont hurt at all. herpes blisters usually hurt and clear liquid in them. plus i think this appears too often for it to be herpes anyways. they mostly seem to be in the back of my mouth around where the teeth are. so who knows...i would like a doctors own response instead of a website which generalizes all things. now i'm even more worried than i was before.

Posts: 2 | Location: illinois | Registered: 08 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vicki Lynn
posted Hide Post
pb1322, calm down there is no need to get all upset and bent out of shape...We don't have all the answers nor do we ask all the questions, remember, you asked us..Some of us may have had what you have then again some of us haven't. The bottom line to it all is--get to a doctor. Have it checked out. Come back and tell us so we can perhaps help another who has this or something like it..We all try to help one another on here, not hurt, or scare you...Whatever you do,,seek some professional help in this....Vicki Lynn

Posts: 608 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi pb1322

Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice. This is a support group, not a website for diagnosis!

Best wishes
Vinod :coffee:

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3906 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maurice
posted Hide Post
pb1322, as Vicki says we don't have all the answers we have this illness and we ourselfs are learing about it as we go. It effects us all in different ways. I don't think you are fair asking our advice then throwing it back in our face when we try to help. We have all been where you are now but hopefully you will not be as we are now after you have visited your doctor. Dr J as he says gives advice not diognosis and I for one can confirm this is done because he cares. he is a professional and has no need to spend time on this site helping us but he does.
Maurice

Posts: 179 | Location: Burnley Lancashire UK  | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Amen to Vicki & Maurice.
Lets not forget that this site is for the Sufferers of M & N to discuss between us ways of coping with this deadful Cancer NOT a self advice? cure or scraremnger faciltity.
I must strongly agree with Maurice but for the kindness and Humilly given by Dy Dr Jodhie (and Krishan) we would be alot worse of today .
Hope we can between us help anyone in need

paul

Posts: 887 | Location: London England | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have blood blisters in your mouth, check your platelet count! My husband, 31 years old, had unexplained bruises on his body & blood blisters in his mouth. After a doctor's visit, he was diagnosed with ITP - a disorder which attacks the platelets. After a brief hospital visit, with platelet transfusions, gammaglobulin, and prednisone, the blood blisters have disappeared and the bruises are slowly fading. Now, he has to take prednisone for a couple of months, and then we'll go from there. Your condition may be something else, but look into your platelet count.

Posts: 1 | Location: nj | Registered: 27 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
umm, howabout us w/ no health insurance? is there any information that i might be able to receive about those people who have gone through this before, as myself?
thanks!

/k

Posts: 4 | Location: quincy, ma | Registered: 30 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple of the blood blisters in my mouth also for about the last 3 months (that I have noticed at least). I honestly think that smoking maybe affecting it if anyone else here having the problem smokes, I noticed when I smoke that, that side of my cheek has a numb tingly feeling that started up around the time of the blood blisters. It's not herpes, I can tell you that for sure. If anyone has been to a doctor for the same condition here please post up the doctor's findings. No health insurance means second-hand doctor's information is better than none.

Posts: 1 | Location: Las Cruces,NM | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Stelmate

The commonest cause of little blood bisters in the inner cheek is trauma caused by nipping it while clenching. Learn to keep your teeth apart all the time (unless eating, even then there is food between them!).

Your cheek is reacting to the irritant effect of smoke (which if it got into your eyes would make them water!). So please stop smoking, it is the best thing you could do to improve your health (in addition to walking for exercise). While we can't predict our future health, we can influence the odds by avoiding risky life styles.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

posted Hide Post
I have noticed a sudden appearance of a blood blister of the size of a dime at the side of my mouth. I do not smoke and is healthy overall. I had it burst but it did not hurt at all. This is the first I have ever had a blister like this. Does anyone know what causes it or if it requires medical treatment?

Posts: 1 | Location: Poland | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good afternoon Cheeky,
I'm sorry that no one came back to you,your question seemed to get lost in another posting.
It is difficult to say what the blister could be but to be safe I think you should see your doctor.What is the weather like in Poland at the moment Cold?
Keep Smiling Razzer
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Cheeky

Angina bullosa haemorrhagica is a benign phenomenon that is characterized by the sudden appearance of a blood blister on the oral mucosa in the absence of an identifiable cause or systemic disorder; local trauma has been suggested to be the most likely contributory factor. Blood filled blisters are produced in places prone to trauma (e.g. hard palate, cheek). It is thought to be caused due to fragility of the mucosal vessels. Some authors suggest mild trauma as the causative agent to break the epithelial–connective-tissue junction, causing bleeding of superficial capillaries and resulting in the formation of a subepithelial hemorrhagic bullae. No treatment is required.

The lesions may be confused with other more serious disorders (eg, mucous membrane pemphigoid, epidermolysis bullosa, linear IgA, dermatitis herpetiformis); however, the isolated nature, rapid healing, and rare recurrence of ABH blisters generally are sufficient findings to rule out the previously mentioned conditions.

The lesions maybe indistinguishable from blood blisters related to thrombocytopenia; however, blood tests and the absence of areas of ecchymosis, epistaxis, or gingival bleeding are helpful signs to rule it out.

Hope that helps. Let us know what your doctor says.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

posted Hide Post
After many trips to the internists, ent's, dermatologist, dentist and oral surgeon, I finally got a diagnosis for the blood blisters in my mouth and throat. I had 3 biopsis, and an oral pathologist said it is angina bullosa hemorrhagica. They don't know the cause, or treatment other than steroids. It's rare and supposedly not deadly. I need some relief. My mouth and throat stay sore. I can't eat or drink anything acidic, crunchy like chips or crackers, and the act of chewing is uncomfortable. HELP!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: LOUISIANA | Registered: 23 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post