Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Questions & Answers    Lump on back side of tongue - TERRIFIED! (pics)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lump on back side of tongue - TERRIFIED! (pics)
 Login/Join 
posted
About a month ago, I noticed a tiny lump/bump on the right side of on my tongue, at the back. I have to stick my tongue way out for it to be seen. I am TERRIFIED. I have smoked for 22 years. I'm 38 (soon to be 39).

On 8/17, I went to my GP who said it looked to be an inflamed or enlarged tastebud. He said to come back in 3 weeks and if it wasn't gone by then, he'd send me to an ENT. Today was my appt, and it isn't gone. I'm going to an ENT as soon as possible (still waiting for them to call me w/the appt info).

Anyway, this lump, bump doesn't hurt, and it doesn't bleed. But it DOES scare me! Here are photos:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1783/dsc0140k.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/485/dsc01401u.jpg

What does this look like? I'm praying it's something benign. No more smoking for me!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nicolex86,

Posts: 13 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Nicole

Have you called your GP to get the appt date for the ENT? Don't wait for the office to call you--they're generally "as busy as a paper hanger with an itch." If you have insurance that doesn't require a referral, call the ENT yourself. I had an inflamed taste bud a while ago, on the "native" side of my tongue. It hurt like a son of a mother, but cleared up in less than a week.

It's understandable that you're scared, but remember that we're here for you.

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 981 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My appt is for tomorrow morning at 9:45am. I'm worrying myself sick over this. I've read that most tongue cancers present as ulcers, but some DO present as a lump/bump. I'm so scared.

If the ENT does a biopsy tomorrow, how long does it usually take to get the results?

It's so strange, it's like that bump just popped up all of a sudden. Frowner

Posts: 13 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Please take someone with you.

My biopsy was on 1/19/05, and I got the results about 12 days later when I went in for all of the pre-op fun (meeting with nutritionists, anesthesiologists, et c, et c). I don't know if that's too long, but that's my experience. From the first time I saw anyone about my tongue until surgery was 42 days. I was fantastically lucky not to need rt or chemo.

The good thing is that you're not messing around--time really does matter.

I'm hoping for the best for you.

Julia

Posts: 981 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mimi McC
posted Hide Post
Nicole,

Hope you're able to take Julia's advice and have someone with you to take notes, hold your hand and support you.

I had a very short time waiting for the biopsy report; the biopsy was done on Wednesday and they called me with the results late on Friday afternoon. Great - I got to worry myself sick over the weekend. Spent the time going through the messages on this board and as you put it, 'terrified' myself. I only remembered the bad stuff and not the survivor stuff. (NOTE TO SURVIVORS! It's important to check in occasionally to let the newbies know that there's life after oral cancer.)

I was contacted by the ENT on Monday; an appt was set up immediately with a radiology oncologist and my rads began 3 weeks later.

This was a very quick diagnosis and I think it was due to my complaints that my primary doc didn't recognize my cancer - it took his Nurse Practioner to really take a good look and refer me to an ENT after three appts with him.

Good luck, sweetie. Let us know how it goes.

Mimi

Posts: 594 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Nicole

The bumps in the photos look like circumvallate papillate. Look at these past posts about this.
Link to similar photos here.

Your ENT doctor should confirm this visually or by biopsy. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3905 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr. Joshi,

Do the circumvallate papillate go all the way over to the side? I know the bumps at the top are circumvallate papillate, but it's that bump on the side (left side of photo) that worries me.

I'm off to the doctor in just a few. I will post an update when I get back.

posted Hide Post
The ENT didn't seem concerned about the bump. He said it just appeared to be irritated/inflamed. He looked at it and felt of it. He told me that if it was still there in a few weeks, he would remove it. He said that he's 99.9% sure it's nothing major like cancer. He said cancer usually presents as an ulceration or sore. He said that sometimes it presents as a tumor, but that what I have doesn't look like a tumor to him.

I told him I wanted this bump removed TODAY, lol. He said that the office would have to call my insurance company and get approval, etc., and that it might take a little while. I didn't have a little while to wait so I agreed to wait a few weeks. Even though the ENT is nearly certian that this bump is harmless, I'll have it removed within the next month if it hasn't gone away on it's own. It will be for my own peace of mind.

I promised God that if he would just let this NOT be cancer, I'd never smoke another cigarette, and I do intend to keep that promise. I've been trying to quit this whole year. Sometimes I go for a couple of weeks w/o smoking, then start back. Sometimes it's only a few days. But this time, I won't start back. This situation really scared me. Smoking just isn't worth it.

Oh yeah, he also asked me how I noticed it. I told him that when I brush my tongue, I sometimes look in the mirror to make sure I've cleaned it good. WHen I do that, I stick my tongue way out. He said that I could've irritated the area with my toothbrush, which is entirely possible. Anyway, just wanted to throw that in there.

Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Nicole

Sounds like it went well. Keep up the vigilance, and good luck with quitting smoking.

Let us know how things turn out.

Julia

posted Hide Post
hi

i've had a similar problem.
about two weeks ago i began to feel like there was something stuck towards the back of my mouth.
it doesnt hurt whatsoever, but after two weeks its become so annoying that its driving me crazy. i constantly feel like i have something small lodged against the back of my tongue. i stuck my finger back there to see if i could maybe dislodge whatever it was but then i noticed it seemed to be a big bump, bigger then any of those supposed taste buds at the back of the mouth. i then got a flashlight and managed to see a very noticable bump towards the back of my tongue, towards my throat.

i've already been reading many threads like this, but people always suggest maybe they just have a sore throat or something. my throat is not sore whatsoever, nothing is swollen. i just have a very annoying bump. if it is a swollen taste bud, how long could it possibly stay swollen, and if it isnt that, what else could it possibly be.

i'm starting to get very worried

Posts: 2 | Location: tx | Registered: 24 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i also forgot to mention that the color of the bump seems to be like the color of my tongue, not white or anything like that, and i notice that many times throughout the day i'll notice that the area with the bump seems to feel very dry

Posts: 2 | Location: tx | Registered: 24 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have that bump in my mouth (links in first post to pics). It's been over 2 months since I saw the ENT. I called this morning and made an appt for monday morning to get it removed. I won't feel totally at ease until it's removed and I get a pathology report saying that it's benign.

I do have a few questions for you experts tho.

1) What is the procedure like to remove a bump like this?

2) How much pain is involved during the procedure?

3) What is the recovery like? How long does it take, and what kind of pain can I expect afterward? Will pain medication be prescribed?

Sorry for all the questions, I would just feel better if I had some idea as to what to expect.

Thank you in advance!

Picture of mom of two boys
posted Hide Post
Those pictures look how my tumor did at first. But I paid no attention to it for a year and a half by then it was bad.

Posts: 178 | Location: union, ky | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Nicole

The only bump related removal I had was that oh-so-much-fun biopsy.

It wasn't painful once my tongue was adequately numbed, but getting there was half the fun (I have a really strong gag reflex, and toothbrushing is usually bothersome and noisy).

My post-op recovery wasn't too bad and I had very little pain, apart from the sutures on my tongue scraping the roof of my mouth fairly regularly. I'd say it took about a month for my tongue to heal to the point where I was comfortable talking and eating. The worst of my pain was gone when I woke up in the recovery room because the pain in my left ear was GONE.

Please let us know how your appointment turned out.

Julia

Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Nicole

You are right about the circumvallate papilla being more towards the middle that what the photo shows. It could be a lingual tonsil which are an aggregation of lymphoid tissue that tends to appear at the lateral border (side) in the posterior part of the tongue.

What was the diagnosis?

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3905 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post