Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Questions & Answers    Sore spot on gum - very concerned
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sore spot on gum - very concerned
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all - I would like some advice as I'm concerned about an uncomfortable spot on my lower gum, just beneath by front teeth, under where the bone protrudes a little.A bit of history first: I had an ulcer inside my front lip (in a different place to where it hurts now) which was v painful and came and went for around 5 weeks. My GP said she wasn't concerned and the ulcer eventually went away. However, since then, I've had this sore feeling as described above, and I can only ascribe it to a small reddened area in the same place. It is not sore to the touch but feels uncomfortable, as an ulcer would feel. Again, my GP has said she can't see anything and I went to see my dentist yesterday who took a look. He said that there was a small red patch but he wasn't concerned and it definitively wasn't cancer, but I might get an ulcer. I've now had this for around 6 weeks and a very worried that the medical advice I'm getting is wrong - should I go back again or leave this for a little longer> Sorry to trouble you when so many folks are being so brave, but I'm mot feeling too brave at the moment....

Posts: 2 | Location: South East | Registered: 08 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Ellida

It is probably not a mouth cancer. The ulcer came and went. Mouth cancer doesn't do that! Your doctor could not see anything and the redness your dentist saw might have been caused by your feeling the area. Stop worrying the area and it should improve. If not, see your dentist again.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3909 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you De Joshi - my concern comes from the fact that I'm not worrying at that spot in my mouth yet it still feels sore - it's a mild stinging sensation, like you have with an ulcer only there's no visible ulceration, just this red patch. Should I visit my dentist again or am I in danger of being a nuisance?

thanks for your patience.

Posts: 2 | Location: South East | Registered: 08 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Ellida

To comment further, I need you to post a picture of the area. Do your teeth touch the spot when you bite them together?

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3909 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post