Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Questions & Answers    Painful Lumps on Inside of Lower Jaw
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painful Lumps on Inside of Lower Jaw
 Login/Join 
posted
I have deveopled small painful lumps, which feel hard like bone, on the inside of my lower jaw. These lumps are right at the floor of my mouth (feels like the bottom of the jaw) beneath the tooth behind the canine. The pain is dull and gets worse through the day, and is sometimes sensitive to temperature. I have noticed no change in size, but the pain persists. As a bit of history, I quit chewing tobacco about one month ago (I chewed for about 5 years), 2-3 weeks before I noticed the lumps. I am very worried I have developed some sort of cancer and have scheduled an appointment with a dentist to check it out. Please help with any information. Thank you

Posts: 1 | Location: omaha | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello grene

It is more than likely that this lump is 'mandibular torus.'

quote:
A mandibular torus is a nodular bony protuberance that is found bilaterally along the lingual aspect of mandible in the bicuspid and/or molar region. Approximately 20% of the population have mandibular tori. They can vary in size. Most times, patients are unaware of their torus unless the overlying mucosa is ulcerated due to a traumatic injury or they are extremely large. The etiology of mandibular torus is not known although there may be a genetic influence. The prevalence of mandibular torus peaks during second and third decades of life. Additionally the prevalence has been correlated to both history of functional stresses including bruxism and number of teeth present in the mandible. Histologically the mandibular tori are made of dense cortical lamellar bone with fatty bone marrow spaces. Most mandibular tori are diagnosed clinically and no treatment is required however surgery may be needed to accommodate a lower partial or full denture if they are large and interfere with their construction.

Let us know what your dentist says.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dr Vinod K Joshi,

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3910 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post