Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

neurophatic pain
 Login/Join 
posted
my dad had undergone partial glossectomy last october 2011, and tongue flap(repair) last december 2011,,last month he started to feel on and off pain in her mouth(he described it like a toothache and burning sensaton..his doctor advised him to undergo ct scan and the result is good...is it normal to feel that pain??how long will it take?..he will recieve his biopsy result on april 3, bec we requested to have it..tnx?i need you reply asap

Posts: 3 | Location: jeddah | Registered: 30 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Shane

Has your dad has two flaps, or did the doctors actually wait two months to put it in?

Nerves can do strange things when they're interrupted . I'm 7 years post-op from the same thing your dad had, and even now I get weird sensations in my flap. Usually it's a tingly feeling, but it varies in intensity (sometimes it's as if I touched a 9 volt battery to my tongue). In the earliest days after I got Flappy I felt nothing, but gradually it did come back.

My doctor did a very low-tech test on my flap, and your dad's doctor might want to try it too. He snapped a swab in half and found a spot where I had sensation. With the other half, he poked around at various distances to see where there was no sensation. The nerves have grown in from my native tongue. We were both quite pleased.

I've only had one biopsy since I got Flappy, and that was because my doctor was concerned by the scar tissue along the seams. Everything was fine.

I hope all goes well with your dad.

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 973 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is it normal?

Posts: 3 | Location: jeddah | Registered: 30 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is it normal to feel that pain???

Picture of Julia
posted Hide Post
Hi Shane

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Pain, by definition, isn't normal (neither is cancer, frankly), but it is a pretty typical reaction to treatment, and each of us has a different pain threshold. It's really something you and he need to discuss with his doctor.

I had almost no pain post-op apart from the sensation of tongue sutures scraping the bejeezus out of the roof of my mouth.

Please let us know how it goes for him.

Julia

Howdilly doodilly, survivorinos!

Posts: 973 | Location: Hollywood on the Huron | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post