Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When does the thrush go?
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi everyone

My husband, Tony, finished his r/t 6 weeks ago. He's doing fine except for the reoccuring oral thrush. His GP prescribed Nystatin which he has been using, together with salt/bicarb mouthwash, regular cleaning etc.

We have read most of the past postings on this subject which were of great help. Following this he went back to his GP and asked for Flucanazole tablets 50gm which he's been taking for 7 days, but things have not improved. His mouth/throat are now very soar and ulcerated, infact he has resorted back to the Oramorph.

Is there anything else anyone can suggest.

Kate

Posts: 222 | Location: Barton upon Humber | Registered: 26 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anne W
posted Hide Post
Hi Kate,
I had thrush for a long time after my treatment finished. I just kept on with the nystatin and scraped my tongue twice a day. The thrush did become less troublesome as time went by.
Sorry I can't help more.
Keep smiling! Anne

Posts: 165 | Location: Sutton Coldfield | Registered: 22 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of David and Susan
posted Hide Post
Hi Kate
Wish i could help, but just finished rt

Thanks for both yours and Tonys support i have used the adviceyou have supplied
David
David and Sue

Posts: 518 | Location: Co Durham | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chelle
posted Hide Post
Hi Kate,
I finnished R/T 4 months ago and am still battling with the thrush Banghead
It's mainly because of the lack of saliva - it causes havock with the natural balance in the mouth.
So if there are any miracle cures for it out there i too would apreciate the insight!
Been using Nystatin, Also tongue scraping, and no result from the Flucanazole!
My G.P even took a swab and sent it away to see why it was so resilliant but no joy *sighs*
Oh well!

-~*Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds*~-
...Albert Einstein

Posts: 794 | Location: Hastings, UK | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of David and Susan
posted Hide Post
Sorry
What does thrush look like ,how will i know if i get it

My mouth so sore i dont know what i have just ulcers i think
David
David and Susan

Posts: 518 | Location: Co Durham | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chelle
posted Hide Post
My thrush looks like a whiteish coloured coating on the tongue. Apparently it's the "sparse" kind. It can also look like white patches.
I first got it in hospital when i had my RIG fitted, my first lot of R/T & my last cycle of chemo. It was from that week on my saliva departed.
I'm sure your dr would recognise if you had it (although i had to point it out to mine)
It's really common for H&N patients though.
Michelle

-~*Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds*~-
...Albert Einstein

Posts: 794 | Location: Hastings, UK | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fran
posted Hide Post
Hi David & Susan. Thrush appears as thick, creamy white curd like lesions on the tongue & inside of the cheeks.If scraped with a finger nail, the area underneath is red & might bleed.
You would know if you get it as it is distinctive & painfull It can also travel through the intestinal system & affect the nether regions, if you know what I mean Smiler It presents as bright red ares there, & may also have the white curds. Both areas should be treated & if medication is prescribed, the course should be completed as it can appear to clear up quickly, but it still lurks about! Hope this helps.

Posts: 305 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all
Tony's thrush is like Chelle's - coating on the tongue and his mouth is a bit soar. He's also had really bad breath for the last couple of weeks.

I saw a posting on this site that mentioned "Threelac", which is a natural dietary supplemnt that claims to help combat thrush. Anyway I sent for some and it has arrived today, but alas it's lemon flavour which will problably send him through the roof. I'll let you know if it works.

Kate

Posts: 222 | Location: Barton upon Humber | Registered: 26 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am almost 2 years out from treatment from tongue cancer. I have dry mouth which is liveable, but I can't seem to get rid of thrush in my mouth. I have tried almost everything that is suggested. My CD 1 count on a blood test showed low, but I was HIV negetive. My doctor tells me that the radiation can cause that number to be low. I'm looking for any suggestions to get rid of this stuff.

Posts: 1 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 30 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post