Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulse In Upper Lip
 Login/Join 
posted
Are we meant to have a pulse in the upper lip on our face?

I am just curios, as recently i have relised a pulse/beating movement in my upper lip.

Please help, im am awfully worried and scared

Posts: 15 | Location: England | Registered: 30 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Stella, I not a medical expert but maybe you have the begining of a cold sore - they tend to throb before they erupt. Maybe make an appointment with your GP on Monday, but try not to worry. Roll Eyes

Brenda B

Posts: 32 | Location: Whitley Bay | Registered: 11 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Brenda, thanks for the advice, it has put my mind alitte at ease as i was thinking the worst.

I have already seen myGP about this, and he has refered me to the hospital, saying that it is a 'Cyst' But i was just curois as to whether we are meant o have a pulse in our lips?

Also do you know roughly how long a cold sore lasts for? untill it erupts? And isit possible to get cold sore's on the outside of your lips?

Thanks x

Posts: 15 | Location: England | Registered: 30 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi again Stella, I have just realised that you have already been to the doctors (from another posting). Dr Joshi usually comments on medical matters so lets see what advice he has. But your doctor has seen it for himself and referred you to the hospital to have it checked out by the experts. I know its hard not to worry when strange things are going on but if he says its a cyst then its an innocent thing which can easily be treated. Please don't let your imagination run away with you. Sleep well x

Brenda B

Posts: 32 | Location: Whitley Bay | Registered: 11 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks once again Brenda x

Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Stella

There are many small blood vessels (arterioles) carrying blood to the lips and all parts of the body.

The arterial supply of the upper lip arises mainly from the superior labial arteries, but also from the subsepta (under nasal septum) arteries and from the subalar (under nostrils ) arteries. There is a figure of 8 shaped anastomotic system between these arteries lying on the upper lip. So if you knock your lip, it throbs. Cut it and it bleeds! The blood flows to the rhythm of the heart beat - the pulsation is sometimes noticeable when the blood pressure rises or blood flow to the area increases. Fear, trauma, infection all can increase blood flow.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes
Vinod
:coffee:

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Dr Vinod K Joshi, there was alot of terms used in there that i didnt quite understand, but i understand what your saying.

So does that mean it is nothing serious/nothing to worry about?

Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
The scientific term is affirmative Big Grin

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3902 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a doctor, but I don't think it is a cyst as I have 5 cysts and none have pulses on them or near them.

As for you say you have a pulse on your upper lip, well I do as well but mine is on the upper right side with a vain I can feel where the pulse beating is comes from. I can understand what you mean as I have one on the right but I cannot find one on the left.

Posts: 12 | Location: UK, England | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well my lips have just recently started pulsing.... both in the upper and lower lip, my doctor says its cause i cut it in my self defense class, and that its nothing to worry about, there are lots of weird places in you bodey where you can feel your heart beat

Posts: 1 | Location: seattle | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two spots on my upper lip one one each side so I look like I have fanes almost! They throb and sometimes get hard. Is the fact they get a bump or a little more firm then the rest of my lip cause for concern? I also have this hive thing going so I worry it's part of the hives but not sure. I started getting unexplained hives ever since my 2nd c-section over a year ago. Ive had tests but nothing comes out...just that I might have them for another year, take zyrtec. I'm almost positive they are from hormones but anyways, can they be related and whats' the bump for?

Posts: 1 | Location: small town | Registered: 12 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post