Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Media Spotlight    What emotions have you experienced post-diagnosis?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What emotions have you experienced post-diagnosis?
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I know everybody is sure to be really busy, but I was wondering if anybody would be willing to take 15 minutes out of their day to share a little bit about their personal experience dealing with cancer. I am clinical research coordinator at the University of Rochester, in Rochester New York. I have long been interested in psychology, and I hope to get my doctoral in counseling this year. Like most people studying psychology, my personal interests have been shaped by my life experiences. My family has had personal experiences with cancer which have influenced what I am interested in studying. Today I am looking to learn about what emotions you might experience as you battle the disease.

If you are willing to share your experience, please visit: cancerpsych.com. At this web address, you will find a brief (15 minute) survey which will ask you questions about your health, and emotions. At the end, it actually generates feedback on your personality, and ability to delay gratification.

Again, if you are willing to help out, please visit the site cancerpsych.com. Thank you in advance for your participation.

Sincerely,
Samantha

P.S. If you are interested in further information regarding our Primary Investigator and how we protect patient privacy, you can visit: http://cancerpsych.com/faqs.php.

Posts: 2 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: 31 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Samantha. I firmly believe that we need research in all aspects of cancer, including the psychological and emotional aspects - I benefited from psychotherapy earlier in my own illness cycle, and I could do with some more at the moment.

However, I was EXTREMELY disappointed to see that your internet survery was entirely US oriented. Did it not occur to you that the internet and cancer are global things, not everyone is North American, and you could have been reaching out to a larger audience here?

I am actually shocked and angry. You could usefully have gained information here, but you have chosen to limit your studies to the North American population only. You do not state that in your survey preamble. I can quite understand that as a student you need to set limits to your study: but I believe these limits are simply due to in-built suppositions that, really, the USA is the only country that exists. If that is not the case, then you should have had the basic courtesy to state your project scope (limitation) at the outset.

The good side of that is that is has made me feel so angry, it's taken my mind off wanting to cry because I think I'm going to die in less than 5 years. So you can give yourself a big pat on the back. Great counselling. Walk into the room with a massive set of preconceptions.

Oh - one of the effects of coping with cancer can be making people rather short-tempered and over-sensitive because they don't have much in the way of emotional walls left. You might want to remember that one. Also, I'm British, we suffer from excessive sarcasm. You might need to deal with that too.

If you're lucky, the moderators will moderate me.

Posts: 83 | Location: Montpellier France | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maurice
posted Hide Post
Hi moptop

I can understand your anger however, I am sure Samantha does not believe that USA is the only country that exists. She does state that she has had family experience with cancer so does not intend offending. Anyone who has been affected by this disease would not be so despicable.
As for the emotions I can relate to your being down. However please remember that I did not expect to survive 1 year let alone 5 and still here 8 year later, having a recurrence of it in my lung and further treatment.
Even though it may be hard at times do try to be tolerant, many times it is easy to just look on the bad side because of our situation. Try to give people the benefit of the doubt life is to short as WE know.
As for your reoccurrence if you check my blog you will see this happened to me and not doubt will happen again in the future. But every day, week, year is an extra gift so I try to give back help and hope to people. I know I am very lucky but others are too you may hopefully be one of them too. gratitude I have been .
Maurice

Posts: 179 | Location: Burnley Lancashire UK  | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post