Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Helpful Tips    Financial Help for Cancer Patients (U.K.)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Financial Help for Cancer Patients (U.K.)
 Login/Join 
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted
See: Macmillan Cancer Support's section on Financial Help:
quote:
If you've just been diagnosed with cancer, the financial implications probably haven't registered yet. But having cancer can be expensive in ways you hadn't expected. As your treatment begins you may find you have to give up work. Your partner may also have to reduce their hours in order to care for you. You could well face extra expense to cover transport to and from hospital, increased heating bills and even new clothes to cope with weight loss or gain.

The Government offers various benefits you may be able to claim which will help you cope better:

You may also be eligible for other benefits to help with extra expenses, such as prescription charges.

If you're terminally ill, you can apply for either Disability Living Allowance or Attendance allowance under the 'special rules'. Your claim should be dealt with more quickly and you should get the benefit at a higher rate.

Also see Cancer backup's Financial issues for a practical guide to people diagnosed with cancer, their families and friends:
quote:
This information provides Financial issues can cause worry when someone becomes ill. Many people find that a diagnosis of cancer affects their finances and can cause money problems.

• Take advice
  • Sick pay and benefits
  • What you can do
  • Getting your paperwork in order
  • Employment-related benefits
  • Disability and attendance benefits
  • Income support
  • Tax credits
  • Help with NHS costs
  • Grants
  • Morgages, pensions and life assurance
  • Viatical settlements
  • Dealing with debt
  • References

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dr Vinod K Joshi,

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3907 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
from Rarer Cancer Forum's message board , wanderer said:
quote:
All cancer patients are eligible for Disability Living Allowance - this won't be permanent, most people are taken off it after 2 years. It isn't means tested.

I didn't know this when I got cancer - assumed I didn't qualify because I was working, tho' on sick leave, and had some money in the bank. However, I've met loads of people in similar position who have managed to claim for eg. oesophagus, breast, gynae. cancers. It has been withdrawn at the end of two years.

The snag is the complicated form. You're supposed to claim within so many weeks (can't remember how many)but if you're late with that you just lose the weeks when you didn't claim, and can still claim. I should go to your local benefits office and ask for a form for DLA.

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3907 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But the process does not appear to be user friendly!

from the Rarer Cancer Forum's message board , Laura said:
quote:
I have to say I was very disappointed with the help I received from the government. I also had to travel at least 10 days in every 21 to hospital for treatment, and was not given any help with transport. I had not been at my new job long enough for them to pay me SS pay, so was told I would have to apply for Incapacity Benefit and Disability Living Allowance. I was not entitled to IB as they had used my years at university to calculate my NI contributions, as I didnt have a job while I was at university I had not paid enough - to be honest, its not something a student thinks about at the time, as I lived at home and off my student loan and wasn't on benefits or anything, I didnt need a job. But if I had known it would come back and bite me on the bum later things might have been different, but it just felt like I was being punished for studying.

As for the Disability Living Allowance, I did qualify for it but at the time I had applied I hadnt been sick for more than 6months so could not have that either.

So I got no benefits or help for being sick, the only thing I they would give me was Income Support (I think they had to give me something), which was £35 a week. £35 for petrol, and as I'm sure you'll all know the other costs of having treatment, foods, vitamins etc.

My mum gave up her job to care for me, because I couold do nothing myself because my treatment was so intense, I was just too weak, but she couldn't get a carers allowance either.

Oh but I did get a blue badge. So I was disabled enough at the time to have a blue badge, but for nothing else. Its crazy, this country stinks, all I can say is I am glad I had such a supportive family around me. I just didnt think it was fair that they had to pay for me and everything I needed. Its not like I asked to be ill or was feigning it. I wasnt planning on being off sick for the long term, I'm going back to work in September, 10 months from diagnosis, because I don't want to sit around, I could probably stay off longer because I have nerve damage in my hands and feet, but I wasnt brought up like that.

I'd just like to know how ill you have to be before this country helps you. I hope you have more luck than I did.

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

posted Hide Post
For Tracey's experience with the system, read: Benefit Worries

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

posted Hide Post
Hi all,

An e-petition has been set up at 10 Downing Street, asking the PM to look into the benefit system and how people with cancer are funded during their treatment. Most people are financially okay for a while because their company pays them sick-pay, although this gets reduced over time. However, students and the self-employed can fall between the cracks and
have difficulty getting sufficient money. For example, to claim income support you have to be ill for 28 weeks before you can claim- which is a fair chunk of chemo treatment time (if not all of it); jobseekers allowance - I didn't meet any patient trying to find a new job whilst having chemo!; Disability Living Allowance - basically you have to be ill enough to have someone else look after you, which is a situation many cancer patients are in for a few days post-chemo before they recover, so this is difficult to claim; incapacity benefit - need to younger than 20 or have paid the minimum National Insurance over a year, which many students won't have paid. On top of all this, it can take a month or more before the benefits are set-up.

The e-petition asks the government to look at the benefit system in relation to paying people whilst they are having cancer treatment and are recovering. Most patients are keen to get back to their jobs and a normal life as soon as they can after treatment. Suzanna Laycock has asked the government to consider setting up a special 'cancer income benefit' which would replace the current multi benefit system and fund vulnerable, low-income patients during treatment.

It needs to get 200 people to sign the e-petition in order for someone at No 10 to view it. It would be good to for all MCF message board members to support it.

If you think you would like to sign it, please go to this link: 'cancer income benefit' petition

Thanks, Vinod
Founder & Chief Executive
Mouth Cancer Foundation

Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Picture of cookey
posted Hide Post
DONE!!

Love liz

Never take your eye off the ball it may just smack you in the mouth

Posts: 673 | Location: Wetherby west yorks | Registered: 19 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jenni
posted Hide Post
I have signed up, and I will email this to my friends and family & ask them to sign the petition as well. So many people are affected by cancer in one way or another, and the benefit system is not set up for it. I was lucky enough to have a good insurance policy that paid a percentage of my salary after the six months sick leave, but I wasn't fit enough to return to work for a year after my treatment started, 15 mnonths after it ended. I was paid incapacity benefit for a while, but this was withdrawn because excessive fatigue was not recognised as a sympton of my treatment, or a valid reason not to work. I also did not mention the joint pains, failing eyesight, and digestive problems some of which I had put down to increasing age, and I had not releasised were the after effects of the chemo. I was lucky that I was protected against the financial implications by my insurance policy, but there are many people who would have an impossible decision to make about whether they were fit enough to return to work. Hopefully this new benefit would allow patients the time to recover both physically and mentally.
It is wrong that so many people who have paid there national insurance for many years, should be put in the position of practically begging for these benefits, when there doctors and consultants are offering medical advise that is ignored by the benefit system.

Jenni

Posts: 248 | Location: Perranporth, Cornwall | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chelle
posted Hide Post
Thats me signed!
I dont know how people do it without savings.
If it wasnt for my family & boss i'd have certainly lost my home. & that's the last thing you need when your going through treatment!
As Jenni says its wrong people who've paid there taxes have to beg for financial support!
I applied for a McMillan grant to pay for petrol to & from Brighton 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Not to mention the chemo before hand. & i couldnt get it because the way its worked out makes you look far better off than you arer.
For your out goings, all thats considered is Rent, Electricity, Counsil Tax. But not food, gas, responsibilities etc.

So i went for dissability allowance, seeing as how i was bed ridden, severe nerve damage so i couldn't hold a pen, ulcers so deep i couldnt speak. But NO - cant have that either!

& incapacity benefit is just £70 a week!

Its rediculous!

-~*Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds*~-
...Albert Einstein

Posts: 801 | Location: Hastings, UK | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of David and Susan
posted Hide Post
We are both signed up.

Dave & Sue

Posts: 518 | Location: Co Durham | Registered: 14 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRACEY W
posted Hide Post
Wish I could sign a million times!!
I can't believe cancer patients have to go through this added stress along with coping daily with their illness Bomb. I don't know what I would have done without help from others. I eventually got my benefits sorted out after taking them to an appeal, but the time leading up to that I struggled! It's not as if we're faking illness like so many others the proof is there to be seen Banghead
Lets hope the government see sense and sort this out.

Tracey

Posts: 38 | Location: Bonnie Scotland | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have also sighned up xx

Posts: 124 | Location: north wales | Registered: 11 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of angiebaby
posted Hide Post
Me too!

Posts: 594 | Location: Congleton, Cheshire | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jenni
posted Hide Post
I sent the details on to some friends and they have signed up too.

There are now over 600 signatures so hopefully the government will consider taking this seriously.

Jenni

Posts: 248 | Location: Perranporth, Cornwall | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fran
posted Hide Post
We've both signed up. Brian & Fran.

Posts: 310 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chelle
posted Hide Post
Tracey,
The thing that infuriates me, is there's a woman that used to work at the shop with me that gets FULL dissability & i'm sure she'll out live us all! She's a fake and fraud!
When i was off i had so many phone calls & letter from the incapacity benefit office... "Why can't you work??"... Well... cuz i'm 6 stone 10, cant walk, cant eat, cant hold a pen, hurts to speak. & i'd have them asking me to attend a committee meeting up 3 flights of stairs! I'd phone my nan in tears thinking they were gunna stop my money & i'd not be able to pay my mortgage! & she'd sort it for me. But it really is the LAST thing you need!
They make you jump through hoops!
I dont know how these fakes get through the system - but something needs to be done!

-~*Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds*~-
...Albert Einstein

Posts: 801 | Location: Hastings, UK | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post