Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
    The Mouth Cancer Foundation Online Support Group    Mouth Cancer Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Members Forums  Hop To Forums  Medications, Treatment, Procedures    Dental implants - anyone had them? Advice please!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dental implants - anyone had them? Advice please!
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi
After two lower dentures I couldn't tolerate I've finally got a date to have dental implants. I know there is a slight risk after RT but willing to take the chance. My biggest fear is that my speech will be affected after reaching a point where my speech is almost normal. I feel I need the implants to improve my confidence and hopefully improve my eating. Just wondering if there is anyone who's had this done and how sucessful it was? Starting to scare myself with the last minute "what if..." stuff!
Sheila

Posts: 68 | Location: Manchester UK | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mimi McC
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I think implants are a wonderful idea and you're lucky that the condition of your mouth and jaw allows you to be eligible for them. I don't have implants but know many people who have them, ranging from young people who lost adult teeth while playing sports, in accidents or goofing around to older people too vain to accept dentures.

The procedure is lengthy and begins with preparing your jaw for the implants. The dentist drills a hole into your jaw and inserts the implant screw while you're under anesthesia. He caps (crowns) this off and several months later replaces the temporary caps or crowns with permanent ones. The temporary crowns allow the gum to grow and heal and all sorts of stuff I don't remember/understand. I think the time period generally runs around six months between inserting the implant screw and placing the permanent crown, but am sure it fluctuates according to the patient. I believe that the only pain involved is for a short period during the healing process after the screws are placed.

I have no idea whether your speech will be affected because you're having this procedure done for different reasons than those of the people I know, but their speech wasn't affected in any way and I can't offhand think of a reason why your's should be further affected.

Here's a Wikipedia article about implants that you might find informative. Wiki isn't always 100% accurate (anyone can post and anyone can edit and it may take a while before errors are corrected) but it gives good general information.

Dental Implants

Let's us know of your progress! I understand that the procedure is very successful.

Mimi

Posts: 594 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cricket
posted Hide Post
Sheila, Good Luck to you on the implants!!!! I hope the procedure is a big success! Please keep everyone informed on your progress.

Best Wishes, Cricket

Posts: 143 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: 01 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dr Vinod K Joshi
posted Hide Post
Hello Shirl

I have treated several patients with dental implants. They make a difference and improve retention and function of the denture. Speech should be fine. A removable prosthesis allows for easier access for oral hygiene and also repairs.

Discomfort from surgery has not been a problem for the patients. So go for it.

Best wishes
Vinod Coffee

Disclaimer: Please see your own dentist/doctor for a proper diagnosis as my words should not, in any circumstances, be taken as dental/medical advice.

"If you see what is small as it sees itself, and accept what is weak for what strength it has, and use what is dim for the light it gives, then all will go well. This is called Acting Naturally."
Lao-Tsu, Tao Teh King

Posts: 3999 | Location: St Luke's Hospital, Bradford and Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi SheilaC27

I would like to tell you about my dental implant treatment. Years back, I had an accident and later on I was suggested by the doctors of London Day Surgery Centre to get the implant done. The procedure takes time , in some cases, up to 2 years. It took me around 1 year to get back everything to normal. Dentures are never successful in my opinion, they tend to loose the grip sooner or later and you ultimately have to get the implant done.

So, In my suggestion, go for it without any other thoughts, your speech wont be effected in any case. Everything will be fine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: robertsmarshal12,

Posts: 6 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Az>
posted
hi Sheila,
It takes quite sometime until the implant gets heal properly, but replacing tooth with an implant is one of the best experience you can have. once its completely healed it will just feel as same as a normal tooth. wish you all the best!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zeilig
posted Hide Post
You're so right. I had the hole drilled before radiotherapy which finished last August, my surgery was four months ago, two weeks ago i had the post fitted and next week I'm finally having the tooth installed. Eating is a challenge as it is, and its compounded by the masticated pulp being forced through the gap where the tooth used to be. I can't wait.

'We have an expression in prizefighting: "Everyone has a plan until they've been hit." We'll my friend, you've just been hit. The getting up is up to you.'

Posts: 7 | Location: Central London | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shoshana
posted Hide Post
Hi, Sheila, congratulations for your implants!
Shoshana

Posts: 100 | Location: Buenos Aires | Registered: 10 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Sheila, congrats on making the decision to get them! They will definitely help improve your eating and confidence and will last much longer than any other solution out there. My implants were quite expensive (about $35,000 for full mouth top and bottom), but 3 years later I'm still very happy with them and would get them again in a heartbeat.

My one piece of advice is to take your time finding a dentist or surgeon that you know you can trust. For the amount you are going to invest you deserve nothing but the best treatment. Here is a list of questions to ask yourself or the dentist you are considering to make sure they know what they're doing.

Cheers,

Greg

Posts: 1 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: 08 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear dentures, but am really considering implants

Bristol Dentist

Posts: 2 | Location: Bristol | Registered: 25 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one dental implant on the upper row and love it. They are much more expensive but worth it in the long run. If you don't have teeth, the procedure would be better than dentures. Hope this helps

Have a great weekend!

quote:
Originally posted by SheilaC27:
Hi
After two lower dentures I couldn't tolerate I've finally got a date to have dental implants. I know there is a slight risk after RT but willing to take the chance. My biggest fear is that my speech will be affected after reaching a point where my speech is almost normal. I feel I need the implants to improve my confidence and hopefully improve my eating. Just wondering if there is anyone who's had this done and how sucessful it was? Starting to scare myself with the last minute "what if..." stuff!
Sheila

Posts: 14 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 17 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What sort of prices are we talking of for a dental implant?

all the best - tony k

Posts: 259 | Location: leicester | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking of implants after radiotherapy:-
We all know that the NHS neglects us in this area and will not even acknowledge the problem although I do have a facebook friend who is getting them done in Scotland.
There is a huge risk, but also a huge consequence to live with when missing teeth are not replaced.
I do know of some people who have had them after radiotherapy but my advise to you would be to see a maxfax surgeon who does them privately, ask about hyperbaric oxygen, ask about pentoxifylline and vitamin E ,see if you need bone grafts. Do not just let a general dentist do this.
The costs are about two thousand for one tooth without bone grafts and considerably more if bone needs to be added.
You certainly need someone who has some knowledge of radiation damage and they are few and far between.
Be very careful as there are many money grabbing cowboy dentists out there but good luck as I may be joining you.

Life is a bitch and then you die.

Posts: 386 | Location: moon | Registered: 07 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by littlerosieuk1:
although I do have a facebook friend who is getting them done in Scotland.

I also know a few persons who have undergone dental treatment at overseas clinics and have been satisfied with service and prices

Posts: 1 | Location: Germany | Registered: 28 September 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As i know dental implants are safe and secure treatment. Actually dental implants are one of the most effective treatment to replace missing teeth. Now a days dental techniques have improved so much over the last few years and the equipment will be more up to date. That modern dental treatment can now be completely painless also these are safe and secure treatment and look like exactly like natural teeth, they can last for as long as you care for them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dr Vinod K Joshi,

Dr Motiwala

Posts: 2 | Location: Hyderabad | Registered: 05 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post