Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Starting Tips
 Login/Join 
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Hi Krishan, I have mastered that step Wink
now whats next?
Do we get a degree in Computer Message Board(Cancer My Backside) sending Smiler

Posts: 887 | Location: London England | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krishan
posted Hide Post
great stuff paul! Big Grin

Trustee & Webmaster
webmaster@mouthcancerfoundation.org
http://www.mouthcancerfoundation.org

Posts: 262 | Location: Surrey | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes I am new to this board, so it will take me some time to get used to all of this, I need help getting around this board please, Please respond at ps5436 thank you all polly

Posts: 3 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krishan:
Soapbox Okay, if you've signed up with Groupee and you're now using the Groupee login details (email address and password) to access this message board account... well done! Smiler

If you were an existing user, you should have been asked to associate your new Groupee account with your existing message board profile. If you did that, great! Big Grin

Now, the main drop down menu buttons at the top are 'Go' (to view your profile, members directory and all the forums), 'New' (to create new postings, polls, private messages), 'Find' (to search the entire forum), 'Notify' (to alert you via email to any new postings) and 'Tools' (to add to favourites, view printer friendly, email a friend and look up the HELP manual - choose UBB.x as the topic to learn how to use this UBB.x message board).

Any questions, tips, guidance notes you wish to put forward... please use this forum! Help

Krishan, I thought I had already signed in . but none of this looks familiar. How do I know if I am an existing user, and what is a Groupee account? sorry to be so obtuse. Thank you! Nancy

All the best, Krishan Geek

Posts: 49 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 03 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me how to get into the members stories? I can't seem to find it

Posts: 80 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Ireneboness,
Click on the name in the left hand column, and the drop down will give you several options, public profile, recent posts etc.
Keep Smiling
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I am new to this site and hope that there is someone out there who can offer me some advice. Last November I was diagnosed with mouth cancer and 5 weeks later was admitted to hospital for surgery. The operation took 15 hours and involved removing part of my jaw and having a flap fitted. The vein and skin was taken from my left arm. I had to return to the theatre the following day for a further 3 hour operation as they discovered a problem with the flap. I was put into intensive care and it was a further 4 days before I was brought round. I spent a further 2 weeks in hospital. In January of this year the consultant said that he had got all of the cancer and I would not need chemo or radiotherapy. I am now at the stage where my mouth is healing and it feels very tight especially in the morning and I really have to force it open, have other people experienced this and does it get better. My consultant said everybody is different. I know that I have been very lucky with the cancer being caught early, but am finding the after effects frightening of which I have quite a few.

Posts: 39 | Location: Harrogate north yorkshire | Registered: 07 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Emmy. You would be better reposting this in the Introduce Yourself section. It wont get missed then. There is plenty of support on the forum and any questions you have will get answered. You are in fairly early days at the moment, it can be a long recovery road but no chemo or RT is a bonus so give it time.

Hagg.

17 years and still kicking it. Never give up your fight.

Posts: 1280 | Location: Devon,UK | Registered: 27 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good morning Emmy,
I had exactly this operation ten years ago and remember that initially I felt that I had a sausage stuck in the side of my mouth. I was given a number of exercises to help with the difficulty in mouth opening. The result was a combination of improvement and learning to live with the problem.If you have more questions go right ahead and ask.
Keep Smiling
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John, many thanks for your reply considering I put my letter on the wrong bit of the website and I still hav'nt worked out how to transfer it, yes you are right about it being a bit like a sausage in the mouth, but it's also like my mouth is in a vice, and I get a bit panicky. Doctors and my Macmillan nurse have been brilliant, but at the end of the day they have not experienced it themselves, so it's really good to come across this site. It was quite a shock getting this cancer as I have never smoked, very rarely drink and have visited the dentist 4 times a year for the last 5/6 years, so when I was first diagnosed I felt very angry after the initial shock had worn off, but I realise now, I have a lot to be thankful for as they got all of the cancer out and didn't have to have further treatment. I have very bad shoulder pains, but hopefully these will get better in time as well. My next big hurdle is replacement teeth, initially the restorative dentist at the hospital spoke about magnetic teeth, I had to have 7 teeth removed, but as they have only a thin layer of bone left at the lowest point, my jaw looking at the x-Ray is a bit like a deep craytor I am petrified they may need to operate again, I know this sounds ridiculous, I desperately want some teeth back, as the teeth on the opposite side have all moved down towards the centre and they look a bit like fangs. I would really like to know what kind of questions I should be asking when I go in May so would welcome advice from all.

Many thanks

Kind regards Emmy

Posts: 39 | Location: Harrogate north yorkshire | Registered: 07 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good afternoon Emmy
I don't think you can transfer a thread to another area you would have to start again by typing your original message.You are right about the doctors not having experiencd the problems which you and I face. I have said many times that everyone views the cancer problem from the outside up to the moment of diagnosis , that is when you step over a threshold and start to view the problem from the inside.....and the picture is quite different.
The shoulder pain comes as part of the package and can last for quite a while, discuss it the next time you go to the clinic they will give you some exercises and decent pain killers. I seem to remember that I was prescribed a combination of cocodamal and anti inflammatory which worked reasonably well.
Regarding questions you should ask, you are the best judge of that, what are the things which are worrying you? A good plan is to keep a note pad handy and as questions pop up in your mind make a note and take the pad with you to the appointment otherwise you arrive with a mind full of wuestions and as soon as the chap in the white coat turns up your mind goes blank, it is called consulting room amnesia. I still follow this practice ten years on.
Keep Smiling
John

posted Hide Post
Yes, I will do that,

Emmy