Mouth Cancer Foundation, Mouth Cancer Awareness

donate online

Return to main web site (leave the Online Support Group)   |   To support the Mouth Cancer Foundation, you can now make online donations!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mouth cancer
 Login/Join 
posted
my husband has just been diagnosed with floor of the mouth cancer scc just wondering if anyone out there had been through the op x

Posts: 7 | Location: lincolnshire  | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Julie,
There will be many members who had a similar diagnosis. I was diagnosed with T1SCC in 2004, the cancer had spread from the soft tissue into the jaw bone, I won't pretend that the operation is "a piece of cake" but it is not as bad as you are both thinking right now.The operation is quite common and as you see is survivable. I am now seven years post op and live a pretty normal life.
If there is anything specific please go right ahead and ask.
Keep Smiling
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi john thanks for getting back to me, neils op has been booked for the 10th may the doctor has advised that he is also chipping away the jaw bone and replacing with the bone out of his leg the floor of his mouth will be made up from the skin of his arm. i have read many stories and i suppose the recovery is down to each individual how long was it before u could eat normally as i think this will play a big part any tips appreciated many thanks julie x

Posts: 7 | Location: lincolnshire  | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Julie,
As you say everyone is different, I think my recovery was a little better than average.
for the first few days the only sustenance was by i/v with the exception of normal medication this was fed through a nasal tube (up the nose and down the throat into the stomach)after about four days a drip was connected to the nasal tube and a high energy feed called Jevity was fed in.After three days the tube blocked and the nurse said she would remove it and install another one. I said she could remove the existing tube but there was no way she could install another one, remove the blocked tube and bring me some proper food. This caused a certain amount of consternation and my stubborn approach was referred to the doctor and then the consultant who agreed to go along with my idea on the understanding that if I did not eat the meals provided a tube would be installed. The first meal was cottage pie..liquidised, this was quite disgusting but I managed it. I told the Polish girl who served the meals not to liquidise the food in future just bring it as normal. (Further high level referral and a similar agreement.) I chose things like fish and mashed potato followed by rice pudding, things which did not require chewing but even so it was not easy at first. So I was eating after one week which is quite early, think in terms of a few days longer....at best.If there is much swelling in the throat and neck this will delay things and happens in about 50% of cases.
I owe my success to three things, a lifetime love of food,the knowledge that I would not be allowed to leave hospital until I was eating satisfactorily and a pig headed approach to anyone who says something like "you will not be able to eat yet", a little man inside says "we will see about that"
It is important to have a positive approach and think only in terms of beating this thing.
Please give my best wishes to Neil, tell him there is a 75 year old just up the road who is seven years post op and enjoying life, and just about to enjoy steak and chips.
That is enough for now Julie, please keep us posted and if you have anything to ask go right ahead and ask.
Keep Smiling
John

Posts: 570 | Location: Mirfield,West Yorks. | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh, my. I just read John's comments, and I must say that now, thanks to John, my mood for the day could not be more upbeat!.
Thank you so much, John. I wish I could meet you.
best wishes to Neil, also. please keep us updated.
Berry

Posts: 50 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 03 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Spencer
posted Hide Post
Good afternoon Berry,
Thank you for your kind words it is nice to hear that I say the right things once in a while.
It would be a pleasure to meet you but Mirfield to Wyoming is just a little too far to stroll for an evening chat.At the moment it would be difficult if you lived over the road because I had a total hip replacement a couple of weeks ago and it has reduced my mobility somewhat.I was home in slightly less than three days after the surgeon finished sawing and hammering and quickly mastered the essentials such as hobbling to the dining room and my favorite chair in the lounge where I enjoy a glass of red wine at 8pm each evening
I am working on the other essentials but I think Wyoming will have to wait for a while.
Keep Smiling
John

posted Hide Post
Good Morning, John,

I googled 'Mirfield' and it appears to be a lovely town, albeit a tad far from ol' Wyoming.
I'm glad you are enjoying your wine in the evening, and wonder if you enjoy "tea, Earl Grey, hot" in the afternoon?
best wishes,
Berry

Posts: 50 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 03 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paul aka PaluchiePatelGoldsmifHeirsing
posted Hide Post
Hi Julie, I went through the same operation 10 years ago now , Least you know it works Smiler
You can read my story on here and willingly answer any questions you may have.
Hope the op went well.

Paul

Posts: 925 | Location: London England | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post